X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting XP Home Edition from CD - Admin Password Problem

Hi I hope some one is able to help..

Here is what happened...

The processor fan and heatsink was getting pretty clogged with dust so this morning i carefully removed the fan and cleaned the dust away

When i connected back up and restarted the PC it got a few seconds into the windows start up screen and then the display turned off

I searched the web and one suggestion was to reboot from the XP CD and choose the repair facility

I have done this but when i try to enter the admin password it doesnt recognise any of the passowrds that i am preety sure i would have used when setting up the PC

So now i am stuck and any ideas on what has gone wrong gratefully recieved

Re: Booting XP Home Edition from CD - Admin Password Problem

If it worked prior to messing w/ the fan, I'm curious how the "repair console" is going to help.

Please post the link to the "one suggestion".

I even hate to suggest you try a blank password in the "repair console".

I'm thinking something got unplugged enough not to work and it is sitting in that black screen bit while it handshakes w/ all your hardware. How long have you let it sit in the "black"?

So I'd go back in there and make sure ALL internal and external cables are seated. I'd also verify the CPU fan spins up during power on before closing the case.

If you can get back on after this, logon to your "Dens2" account (or ???) which I'm hoping is an admin and then change your administrator password to something you'll remember.

If you can't get back in, we'll see what the next step should be. Still interested in what "repair console" would buy you.

Next time get a can of compressed air and blow out the dust. Vacuums can work too but the blast of air is the safest.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Rick!

As you can probably tell i have never used a forum before.

I have double checked connections and the CPU fan is running fine

What is strange is that during windows start up the monitor goes to black through loss of input signal

There still seems to be some hard disk activity but i cannot see what is happening without the monitor

I have left it running with a black monitior for at least 15 minutes and there is no change

This is when i found info on the web suggesting to reboot using my XP CD. I dont want to re-install the OS and loose my data and so i have been choosing the repair function and this is where i get stuck with the admin password

I have tried all the passowrds i can think of including leaving it blank but no success

Any other ideas gratefully recieved!

Ciao

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Dens2 View Post
        Thanks Rick!

As you can probably tell i have never used a forum before.

Ciao

Jon
        Actually Jon, I thought you posted pretty good for a first timer. There are even a few longer timers that could take a lesson in posting from you. Well done!!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It was a really nice first post.

I just don't want to take you down the "repair install" (vs. "repair console") route unless we really need to.

OK, so you've wiggled all the connectors. When you go into the "repair console" off the boot CD (where I don't think you want to be), the screen does not go black but you don't know the admin password.

BTW, do you have a bona fide Windows XP Home CD or one of these manufacturer recovery disks? That answer will matter if the next bit doesn't go anywhere.

So I'd like you to try and boot in Safe Mode and see if you get in on vanilla VGA:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Assuming you have only one OS and /fastdetect (the default), you're just going to have to press / release F8 a bunch after the vendor's splash screen comes up and hopefully you'll get the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" then select "Safe Mode" and report back if you get in.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks very much Rick

Following your instructions i have managed to get into safe mode with a display

now it asks me if i want to proceed in safe mode or to restore to a previous state

very grateful if you can help me through this step by step so that i dont screw up!

Jon

Comment

Well that's great news that safe mode works. So things are pointing to your graphics driver.

So are you aware of which video card you have (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)?

I would suggest in Safe Mode, you uninstall these drivers from Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs.

Not much harm can come from this as you should be able to reinstall later.

If you can uninstall then boot without safe mode then go to your vendor's web site and download new drivers, that would be great.

All far better than "repairing".

See if you can find video drivers to uninstall in Safe Mode and report back on how it goes.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Hi Rick,

This is a great help!

I have removed the Nvida drivers and have rebooted - so far so good!! I will try to down load their latest drivers in the morning

Rick you have been fantastic and i will let you know how i get on

Thanks again for your time

Ciao

Jon

Comment

Working...
                X