XP password is lost and unrecoverable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP password is lost and unrecoverable

This is about the most brain-dead thing I have ever done.

XP PRO(SP2) is on a work-group. The company is moving to A.D. and I added the system to the domain to test various things out (like roaming profiles, etc). Everything worked fine until I put the system back on the workgroup level. The previous login ("giscad" in this case) no longer works!! (I didn't know moving to AD would render the previous (local) logins invalid.

Anyway, I downloaded from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ but it failed to work. I took the CD home and tested it on my home system and the test user I created fails to login with either the original password or what the above linux-boot CD said it changed it to.

I then tried loginrecovery.com and they failed 100% to retreive ANY of the passwords I sent them (admin and the original user).

Tried booting in safe-mode to gain admin rights and the system gave some type of "windows encountered an error and will close" standard thing

Booted off of the install CD to try and manuall change things around.

Can't get it to work at all.

Now I don't mind reloading the system as long as the original data (ERP GIS system data for a county government) will still be there. Doesn't a reinstall of Windows make a Windows:000 directory or something like that and all information in the "Documents and Settings" folders are still there???

thanks to all!!!

thumper...(

Re: XP password is lost and unrecoverable

If you do an "install over the top" then existing profile folders should still remain as long as you don't use any similar user names or computer name. i.e. if the computer name was different and you created a user name the same, you would have the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\giscad\
    C:\Documents and Settings\giscad.newPCname\

So you shouldn't lose any data so long as you're careful. You wouldn't even have to install Windows in a different folder...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: XP password is lost and unrecoverable

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      If you do an "install over the top" then existing profile folders should still remain as long as you don't use any similar user names or computer name. i.e. if the computer name was different and you created a user name the same, you would have the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\giscad\
      C:\Documents and Settings\giscad.newPCname\

So you shouldn't lose any data so long as you're careful. You wouldn't even have to install Windows in a different folder...
      If you have a bona fide Windows XP (I'm guessing) CD and not one of these image recovery things, do try a repair install w/ the Shift-F10 trick first. Most everything will be maintained (installed SW, configurations) and you should be able to reset your password(s).

If that doesn't work, repave the machine.

Here's the best link I've found on Shift-F10 and one on the repair install process in general (you need to re-apply service packs, etc. afterwards):

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Do let us know how it goes.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X