No announcement yet.

Recovery password problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery password problems

After downloading service pack 2 the following error would not let me start up Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    I went to microsofts knowledge base and used their repair at "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting"
    I was able to complete parts 1 and 2 but was not able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registery hives because of the OEM password problem. If I could get past the password I could finish the repair. Can you point me to the next step?

Re: Recovery password problems

Boot off the XP CD and proceed to the second repair option and use that. See how you go with that.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: Recovery password problems

From what I've seen, a normal repair install does not provide the opportunity to change the admin password. I verified this w/ a W2K Pro repair several weeks back. Have yet to get back out there to do a needed WXP MCE repair but I'm pretty darn sure it will be the same.

I did verify the Shift-F10 approach to change the administrator password worked for W2K Pro:

Try it when you do that repair install on WXP and tell us how it goes.

Here's another good link on the repair install process (less the Shift-F10 bit):

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.