• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help recovering admin password on WinXP

I have tried:

1. Pressing enter
    2. entering "nopassword:
    3. entering "password"

Nothing works. I am trying to use EBCD bootable C/D. I have spent an hour searching entire website for instructions on the commands to enter at the [DR-DOS]A:\> prompt. Where can I find this info or can someone provide?

Thank you so much.

Re: Help recovering admin password on WinXP

You see the title of this forum? "Forgot Administrator Password".

Does that give you the idea maybe that EVERY THREAD in this forum is about "Forgot Administrator Password"? And that people may have been helped in those threads? Why'ncha have a look around in here, see what you can find? There's lots of great help here if you just take the time to look....

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

tw68:

As Stonelaughter mentioned, there is a lot of info in this forum.

You need to be much more specific on your situation (how you got to this unfortunate point), your setup, and what you've tried after that hour of searching for any of us to be able to help you past "search the forum".

If I tried 1/2 of what I found after an hour of searching, I'd be busy for a week.

In numerous posts you will see mentioned the main page on this site (outside these forums):

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Do come back with more info and some more specific questions. I do find this topic interesting so don't think I'm running you off.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

In numerous posts you will see mentioned the main page on this site (outside these forums):

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administrator_password.htm
        I have looked at the main page, that is where I found the info on using the EBCD disc. I have looked that site over and over and over. I loaded the C/D into the computer and after a few seconds it gives me that prompt, assuming I am supposed to type in some command. I have no idea what it is asking me for, not too computer savvy.

I honestly thought that the C/D would guide me through this but it seems not. I have searched and searched this website and the website where I downloaded the C/D in hopes of finding a step by step "how to" but no success. I have also reviewed of the the previous posts going back for (2) mths, no "how to" there.

As of how I got to this point. I purchased my daughter a brand new computer for Christmas and she got the idea that it would be cool to place a password on the computer to keep her (3) sisters off of it. Didn't know she was doing this until she told me she couldn't remember the password. She swears she didn't set an admin password, only her user password but there certainly is an admin password set.

It is a stand alone computer in our home. Not sure what other info would be helpful.

Comment

Given the machine is less than 2 months old, I would suggest applying whatever disks came with the PC to re-image it and start anew. That will be much less trouble than trying to recover / reset the password.

Please advise on progress / issues.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Should I have the discs even if it came pre-loaded? Just making sure before I ask my daughter where the disc is. I don't remember seeing any but she may have them stored somewhere. If it is preloaded and there are no discs, is that a BestBuy issue? I'm thinking now I should have been the one to unpackage and setup.

Maybe I should also check with BestBuy to see if there is any type of warranty/service agreement that would allow the GeekSquad to help us. I'm assuming if we have the disc then she will need to reload everything that she loaded after purchase, correct?

I appreciate your help.

Comment

You may not have any disks. A friend bought a name brand machine w/ WXP MCE and it came w/ 2 blank disks for the burner. An option was provided to make recovery disks which he did first thing using those blanks. Possibly the same situation for you? May be worth a quick look at your Best Buy receipt and a phone call to them to see what they offer. I personally would not want to be without a set of recover disks.

Depending on what you get from them, we may be back on the plan to recovery the password.

I'd try the LoginRecovery.com CD version over EBCD and see how it goes. If you are able to get the Administrator hash and enter it properly into that website, you should find out in an hour or so if they could recover the password. Then you can decide to wait 2 days or pay to see the password early.

If the CD doesn't work to extract the hash, we'll have to look at something like BartPE then run something like SAMInside to get the Hash for the Loginrecovery site or ...
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X