X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with laptop password & login recovery

hello all,
    i recently bought a laptop from an auction help by our local school district as did my mom, these are the ibm thinkpads, and when we got home we started them up and they have windows xp pro but they prompted for a username and a password as well as site loggin into, well we dont have this info so we called around to like compusa and such places who said either reinstall windows xp or you can use sosftware to recover the password, or you can call ibm to recieve recovery cds or you can contact the school, so i called ibm and they said they would send me the recovery disk for 65 but they have it as millenium editionwhat the laptop came with origianlly but it now has windows xp so they said it wouldnt work, so i called comp usa who said well reinstall windows xp then or they will do it for 90, so i kept looking, so i then found a guy who said he would burn the loginrecovery to disk and to use that so i did and it actually booted up and gave me the encripted password do i uploaded it to the website who then said you have to wait 48 hours or you can pay 25 to get it in 10 mins, but i dont want to pay and then they cant decode it or the password doesnt work, as anyone been in this situation and what did you do? i called the school and they sent me to their tech dept. who said they are not sure which school it came from since these were from the district but they have a protocol they follow which they take everything pertaining to the school out and they leave only what a person would need to use the computer but then i asked why they didnt take off their password and username part and they said they didnt know since they arnt sure what school and why? but i mean i bought it legally i just dont know much about them, and i really needed this done last week since school started last week, but if any knows if login recovery works or should i pay please help thanks. sorry this is so long im tryign to describe to my best

Re: help with laptop password & login recovery

You might like to try adding punctuation and taking the odd breath next time.

Anyway; you may have bought a laptop, but as the laptop was delivered to it's first owner with Windows ME, the fact that it currently has Windows XP on it is probably a licencing violation (not by you, by the School). If I were you I would go down to the shop and buy Windows XP Pro and install it on the machine yourself. Wipe the machine during the process. It's not worth messing about trying to get the current installation running as it's probably unlicensed anyway. If they had provided you with an Installation Disk, CD Key, Certificate of Authenticity etc that would be a different story; but they have kept all those things and will probably use them to install Windows XP somewhere else.

If you succeed in logging into this machine and USING Windows XP that is currently installed, you will be violating the licence conditions of Windows and possibly committing an offence depending upon what part of the world you're in.

Take my advice; spend the US$100 for a disk all your own.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Tom, I have no idea how you read that. 392 words, 11 commas, 2 full stops and 2 question marks. NO capital letters.

For being able to read the post, you are being awarded Reputation Points for one outstanding effort. Well done.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wow, that is a tough read. I'm w/ Stonelaughter -- spend the US$90 at Comp whatever and be done with it.

I did catch "loginrecovery" as I was trying to process the character stream.

Did you search these forums? Loginrecovery requires a very specific syntax on the upload of the LM and NT hash. If it is not followed exactly, you will get some kind of decode failure on their website.

Since you are using the CD method, make sure the string has the same format shown here:

http://www.loginrecovery.com/instructions.php#cd

I believe I discuss it in this thread:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...=loginrecovery
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

sorry i guess i didnt need any breath that day
          any way i am currently waiting the dreaded 48 hours for the password from login recovery, if you pass on the priority service and go about the free way you must wait 48 hours, i recived an email stating that it was recovered i just had to wait 48hours so im still waiting

i thought maybe i could find a website with a decryption use on it but most of them want you to download a file and then use it on your comput and then it will break the hashes but i all ready have the hashes i now need someone or some program to decode them for me, i have gotten this done on the first one since i loginrecovered it first, and its password was roadtest, but im still waiting on the second.

but thanks guys, ill be posting in the win xp forum soon as i have a troubleshooting one on that one thanks

Comment

If you received the 48 hour notice, the password, in my experience, will be revealed in 48 hrs. No more emails will come, you will need to logon to loginrecovery with your email address / password and click on the submission to reveal the password.

Do tell, what did you do to go from failure (earlier post) to success with them?

BTW, you still need to take a breath.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

yeah i received the 48 hour notice, umm but it hasnt been 48 hours since i uploaded my hash to the website.

the first computer it has been and it decoded it, i did that one on monday, i didnt state that i had a problem, i said i didnt want to pay and then it didnt decode or something, but they send you an email that will state if they have recovered it or if they falied, i guess they figure if they recovered it you are gonna start up and enter your username and the pass. they gave you and its gonna work, im not as sure as them though.

i then need to learn to get into there and add users and change the password and then learn to take ownership of it and then i need to learn to get rid of the schools name on all of the files.

Comment

...or you could just follow my recommendation, to avoid being a naughty software theif, and buy a copy of Windows to wipe the laptop with... is that HARDER than going through all this?!

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

well i could have bought a version of windows and reinstalled and wiped everything clear, but when you are busting your butt to work 40 plus hours a week and your husband just got laid off and you are supposed to be starting school last week online, well things can be tight, and so can money, so for the ones who have the time to waste
                  the money to spend congrats, i however dont.
                  so this was the only option for me.
                  my main question was does login recovery work, i dont need some smart comments and i dont need your techy answers i need some one who is willing to work it out with you,
                  now anyway since you guys dont seem to put yourselves in the place of the one needing help i shall find another website who will, and while im at it i will comment every chance i get on yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    ...or you could just follow my recommendation, to avoid being a naughty software theif, and buy a copy of Windows to wipe the laptop with... is that HARDER than going through all this?!

second i have not theived anything, and if im a theif then the loginrecovery wouldnt be free.
                    in fact the smart arses liek you guys on here are who i took my computer to and you know what they put a pirated version of windows on there without me asking them to, and now i have a computer that says you are using an illegal version of windows, and i now have to buy a new os and reinstall but so much for getting help from you guys, you smart arse's

Comment

stephieluvsangel

You're way out of line here. I'm not going to allow anyone to open their dirty mouth and mess with my forums. If you can't live by our rules - be gone.

Goodbye.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                      X