password boot disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password boot disk

my brother-in-law gave me his old lap from work which is 2 years old. In the last year he had moved and was given a new laptop for work. The laptop that he gave me has the operating system windows xp professional. When i boot the laptop up it will load windows xp and then prompt me for admin/ password. I have no idea what to do at this point. Im locked out without a password, what is my next step? Please help!!!!

I have tried offline nt password & registry editor, bootdisk/cd ( cd06213.zip), i downloaded it, unzipped it (iso), used nero to burn it. I went into the dell latitude help command (f2 while it boots up) changed the boot drive to the cd boot and still nothing happened. Would anyone have any insite for me?

thanks

Re: password boot disk

And your brother-in-law can offer no assistance re: remembering a user / password?

Any CD's come with the laptop to reinstall the OS or original image?

Can you boot anything off the CD? And I take it no floppy in the machine?

EDIT: Your brother-in-law's IT Department at work should be able to provide assistance given his employer made such a gift possible.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 30th January 2007, 09:17.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

bhende hi
      first, does the computer boots from the cd you mentioned?
      did you check to see if it boots from a diferent bootable cd?

its posible that the password recovery cd you created doesnt work at all.
      IMHO i think its best to just reinstall the laptop, but dont forget to make sure you have all the drivers beforehand. (you can probably dowlaod them from the laptops manufacturing company's web site)

if you just want to change the admin password then you can try this link:
      LINK REMOVED BY MOD
      i havnt tryed it but i think it will do the job.

good luck!
      Last edited by danielp; 30th January 2007, 15:39.

Comment

I'm not sure that link leads to anything we want to publicise on this site.

My advice would be (a) buy Windows from a shop (b) wipe the laptop and start again.

No good can come of you using the Windows and Applications already installed, and there may be data on the laptop which the company don't wish to share. I am absolutely appalled that (if your story is true) they didn't industry-standard-wipe the disk before allowing it out of their doors...

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by korenliran View Post
          if you just want to change the admin password then you can try this link:

We do not offer illegal hacking tools here. I cannot verify the link you provided, therefore I cannot be 100% it contained anything illegal. If it did, I would have banned you. Next time please provide a full description of what you're offering, and if you have any questions - ask one of the mods before posting.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by bhende View Post
            my brother-in-law gave me his old lap from work which is 2 years old. In the last year he had moved and was given a new laptop for work. The laptop that he gave me has the operating system windows xp professional. When i boot the laptop up it will load windows xp and then prompt me for admin/ password. I have no idea what to do at this point. Im locked out without a password, what is my next step? Please help!!!!

I have tried offline nt password & registry editor, bootdisk/cd ( cd06213.zip), i downloaded it, unzipped it (iso), used nero to burn it. I went into the dell latitude help command (f2 while it boots up) changed the boot drive to the cd boot and still nothing happened. Would anyone have any insite for me?

thanks
            If this is a 2 year old work laptop, I would be inclined to use the Recovery partition and wipe the system of all the old garbage and install everything clean. Laptop will run better and you will not have any problems that may have been inherited from the time your brother had with it. eg spyware etc.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X