Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locked out of both ADMIN accounts, only guest available.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked out of both ADMIN accounts, only guest available.

Hi guys,

My father passed away almost two weeks ago and my brother and I are trying to access his files on his labtop. Problem is that his main account and the laptops main ADMIN account both are password protected. I can only get into the guest account which has limited abilities. I have tried many different possibilities including leaving the ADMIN password blank. I would like to, if possible, reveal the password. I do not by any means want to erase any of the files. It's a Dell Inspirion 8500 running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Thank you in advance,
    Trevor

Re: Locked out of both ADMIN accounts, only guest available.

First, my condolences for your loss.

What is your primary objective? To recover the files or logon and run applications? If you wish to recover the files, IMHO, the best course would be to mount the laptop drive in another machine and back it up to another drive or DVD-R. To do that w/ a laptop drive on a desktop, you'll need an adapter of some kind. I'm guessing something that will mount the drive as USB 2.0 will be easiest.

You'll be looking for something that converts IDE 2.5 to USB 2.0.

Here are a couple at www.newegg.com -- a well known discount internet-only seller in the USA. I used them in the past and they are the standard -- period.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...sc=ide+2.5+usb

You will have to look at the many offerings and read through the user reviews to determine what suits your needs.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you for the fast response. I would like to be able to login and run the applications, but if that's impossible then I suppose I can try would you suggested and transfer it through a USB.

Trevor

Comment

I also want to offer my condolences.

Just to add to Rick's excellent advice, forget trying to reveal the password; I'm afraid it's not going to happen. The absolute best we could do on the password front is to enable you to change it to something else. However, I think that the very best thing is to do what Rick said; get the data off. I can't for the life of me think of a reason why anything apart from data would be of any use...

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Changing the password would be great too. I really don't want to switch the harddrive to another computer until we've exercised all we can on the actual laptop.

Thanks guys,
          Trevor

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorB View Post
            Changing the password would be great too. I really don't want to switch the harddrive to another computer until we've exercised all we can on the actual laptop.

Thanks guys,
            Trevor
            Well then, you'll need to look at the password recovery opportunities:

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...r_password.htm

Search this forum. There are a number of recent threads that can point you in right direction:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11724
            http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12843

Read up and come back to tell us your progress / ask some questions.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I got it thanks guys!

Comment

Well done Trevor. How did you finally get it?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X