Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost login passwords for laptop

ok not that good on forums but here goes
    computer ive been asked to fix has windows media centre on it my friend got computer last year then went on holiday now he is back and cant remember his password i have searched the forums after reading this forum as it adviced me. ive got the hash strings and rainbow tables and such like i have tried lots of cd tricks even tryin win 2000 i have even had his drive in my computer and had to take ownership of it (please tell me i havent already mucked his op system up)i now have full access to his lap top drive via my desktop, i have bin files and lots of other files i got with rainbow tables but i am at complete loss on how to use them(im a real beginer with pc and only ever started using 1 last year and that was for gaming so im pretty lame at this stuff so please forgive my ignorance and bad grammer) with one of the cds i made i recieved all accounts passwords but they wer in crypted format i think u call them hash keys? anyway is ther any simple way to convert these keys into the password he used at no cost to myself or my friend if so can you please advice me on how to do it as i said im real beginer at pc stuff but my mate is way lamer than me, so please make it as simple as possible like as if you were talking to a very young child who has problems with computers

Re: lost login passwords for laptop

RainbowCrack tables total up to quite a large size -- many GB. Are you sure you have them or something that will make them? Don't try to make them as it takes a long while.

Easiest things first. Have you tried logging on as Administrator with a blank password? I take it the machine has that cute "Welcome" screen.
    1. Reboot the machine.
    2. At that welcome screen, instead of clicking on the username with the forgotten password, press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice
    3. This should pop up the traditional logon dialog.
    4. Enter Administrator as the username and leave the password blank.
    5. Click OK or press Enter

EDIT -- If you are able to logon, go to "Control Panel", select "User Accounts", click on that username and change the password. Then logoff Administrator and logon as the username.

If that doesn't get you in:

What CD's / DVD's did the machine come with? Is there a Windows XP Media Edition CD or some machine image CD's that came from the branded manufacturer (Dell, HP, Lenova, whomever)?

Is there a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the bottom of the laptop or on a card?
    Last edited by rvalstar; 23rd January 2007, 08:03.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The best solution in your case, to back up the data, and reinstall a fresh new OS.
      Best regards,
      Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ok thanks for quick reply yes i have the rainbow tables 699mb i think the file size was but now they siting in a drive with readme files and bin start and index files,and i dont know how to start using them do i need to put them on a disk or something?. my mate said he cant remmember where his disks are(he has not long moved house) either his wife has thrown them out or he just honestly cant find them at moment, ive tryed login in at start like u said with ctrl.alt.del but no luck there, that was 1 of first things i tryed, i do have access to this drive after i took ownership of it ,can i find them in file in there as i am now administrator to that drive when its in my machine i dont really want to have to reformat machine as it comes up it cant find hard drive but im sure thats becouse its sata drivers or other drivers and i dont know how to get round this as i said before im new at computers so dont know a lot of tricks, other person replyed to my thread and he said "The best solution in your case, to back up the data, and reinstall a fresh new OS"how do i back up the data and what will this allow me to do even though i dont want to go down that road if it can be helped. is there any way i can get this password from his drive ntfs for dos gave me hash numbers but they said they cant match them or something it all confuses me i could put this comp into shop but im scottish and i hate parting with cash even if it isnt mine ,plus i like the challenge its given me no silly computer is gonna get the better of me im boss around here so any more instructions about this problem would be apprecated like how to set up and use rainbow tables if there is way round this format i would rather try it please help me help my friend
        Last edited by madoz.inc; 23rd January 2007, 16:40. Reason: bad grammer

Comment

madoz, man, take a breath when you type your messages! See if you can read what you wrote, all in one breath.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ok thanks for quick reply, yes i have the rainbow tables, 699mb i think the file size was but now they siting in a drive with "readme files" and "bin" "start" and "index files",and i dont know how to start using them, do i need to put them on a disk or something?. my mate said he cant remmember where his disks are(he has not long moved house) either his wife has thrown them out or he just honestly cant find them. At moment, ive tryed login in at start like u said with ctrl.alt.del but no luck there, that was 1 of first things i tryed, i do have access to this drive after i took ownership of it ,can i find them in file in there as i am now administrator to that drive when its in my machine. I dont really want to have to reformat machine, as it comes up it cant find hard drive, but im sure thats becouse its sata drivers or other drivers, and i dont know how to get round this, as i said before im new at computers so dont know a lot of tricks, other person replyed to my thread and he said "The best solution in your case, to back up the data, and reinstall a fresh new OS"How do i back up the data and what will this allow me to, do even though i dont want to go down that road if it can be helped. is there any way i can get this password from his drive. ntfs for dos gave me hash numbers but they said they cant match them or something it all confuses me. i could put this comp into shop but im scottish and i hate parting with cash even if it isnt mine ,plus i like the challenge its given me no silly computer is gonna get the better of me im boss around here . so any more instructions about this problem would be apprecated, "like how to set up and use rainbow tables", "if there is way round this format". i would rather try it please help me help my friend.

ps i have problem with spelling and stuff this takes me all night to type in and check but thx for checkin me anyhow

Comment

I think you missed Daniel's point. Put some white space (blank lines) in your posts between thoughts / points. Also group like points. Makes it much easier to read.

I took the liberty:

ok thanks for quick reply,

yes i have the rainbow tables, 699mb i think the file size was but now they siting in a drive with "readme files" and "bin" "start" and "index files",and i dont know how to start using them, do i need to put them on a disk or something?.

At moment, ive tryed login in at start like u said with ctrl.alt.del but no luck there, that was 1 of first things i tryed,

my mate said he cant remmember where his disks are(he has not long moved house) either his wife has thrown them out or he just honestly cant find them.

other person replyed to my thread and he said "The best solution in your case, to back up the data, and reinstall a fresh new OS"How do i back up the data and what will this allow me to, do even though i dont want to go down that road if it can be helped.

I dont really want to have to reformat machine, as it comes up it cant find hard drive, but im sure thats becouse its sata drivers or other drivers, and i dont know how to get round this,

i do have access to this drive after i took ownership of it ,can i find them in file in there as i am now administrator to that drive when its in my machine.

is there any way i can get this password from his drive. ntfs for dos gave me hash numbers but they said they cant match them or something it all confuses me.

as i said before im new at computers so dont know a lot of tricks,

i could put this comp into shop but im scottish and i hate parting with cash even if it isnt mine ,plus i like the challenge its given me no silly computer is gonna get the better of me im boss around here .

so any more instructions about this problem would be apprecated, "like how to set up and use rainbow tables", "if there is way round this format". i would rather try it please help me help my friend.
              669 MB of rainbow tables can't be much -- maybe A-Z. A full set for A-Z, 0-9, and special characters ranges from 64 GB to 100 GB. So I'd leave your RainbowCrack tables alone for now.

Sorry to hear Administrator has a password. That was the "easy" way in.

Since you don't have media (Windows XP CD), a reinstall will be a problem.

I'm not all that clear on your "...reformat...cant find hard drive...sata..." statement. I take it the laptop drive is currently mounted in another machine. I also take it if you were to put it back in the laptop, it would boot but you can not logon due to the password problem. Am I missing anything?

I do not know what this "ntfs for dos" software has to do with password hashes nor why you are using it. The machine where you have the laptop drive mounted, is it running DOS or XP or ???

Now back to your ORIGINAL post:

...i have tried lots of cd tricks even tryin win 2000 i have even had his drive in my computer and had to take ownership of it (please tell me i havent already mucked his op system up)i now have full access to his lap top drive via my desktop...
              Windows 2000 -- did you try to install that on his laptop???

Take ownership -- if you were logged in to your desktop as Administrator, how should have been able to see the laptop drive without changing any permissions or ownership -- what exactly did you do???

Given all the potential issues revealed in these posts, here's how I would approach the problem going forward:

FIRST, I would grab a copy of that laptop's SAM and SYSTEM files out of ?:\WINDOWS\system32\config and copy them somewhere else for later.

SECOND, I would mount the drive back in the laptop and verify I can boot and get all the way to the Welcome screen without any issues (no service failed dialogs, etc.)

If I can't get that to work then no amount of password recovery is going to help. I would contact the vendor, explain the situation, and see if I can buy a set of disks to reinstall the machine back to its original state. NOTE: I would do this regardless or the outcome so I have them available the next time something goes wrong.

If the boot works fine and the only issue I have is the password, I would consider my options to extract the appropriate hashes on the laptop or back on the desktop using those saved SAM and SYSTEM files.

Search this forum. Most of what you are trying to do has been discussed before.

Here is the latest thread on the issue:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12843

There are a lot of worthwhile links in that post for you to investigate.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                madoz, man, take a breath when you type your messages! See if you can read what you wrote, all in one breath.
                Must be one of your invisible posts.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X