This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new HP Pavilion but Administrator Password has already been set

Hi from England - if you can help with this one I will be lost in admiration.

I bought a new HP Pavilion from a store on Monday and only this evening got around to setting it up. On starting it asks me for the HP Administrator password and gives me the clue 'helloherbert'. I can only presume somebody in the store passworded it for a prank before it was sold to an unsuspecting customer, i.e. me!

I could just return it tomorrow but it would be handy to get it working if possible, and the overworked guy on the store counter will have a much nicer day tomorrow if I don't ruin it by dumping my currently inert machine on him.

If you can help - my thanks in anticipation. If you can't - my thanks anyway and good on you guys for trying.

Re: Bought a new HP Pavilion but Administrator Password has already been set

Hi from Scotland

Please check out the "lost admin password" forum, about 3/4 of the way down the main page. You will get some tips there. Personally I would take it back to (as a guess) PC World and raise hell with them -- get a discount or a partial refund for your inconvenience.

Also, please post here apologising to Daniel (the boss) and asking nicely for your post to be moved to the password forum where it belongs, otherwise you may get a ban for not reading and following the forum rules ( I assume your PC does not have Windows Server on it?).

Good Luck
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello also from England.

He doesn't know - this is the BIOS administrator password, NOT the Windows administrator password. I think.

Not sure if the "forgot administrator password" forum will be any help, if that is the case. If I'm right, then with a brand new machine I would be taking it back and shouting at them A LOT. I wouldn't want to direct you to pulling it to bits and looking for the BIOS reset jumper with a brand new box... No sirree Bob.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I'd definitely take it back to the store and complain to the store manager, as this is completely unacceptable for a new computer.

If it's a windows password, and you don't want to take it back to the store, just use the system restore CD on the computer and start it from scratch (NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING!!!!!).
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wouldn't the best course of action be to simply open up the side of the case since it probably has a pop-able case and remove the battery over night, it doesn't seem logical to go ranting and raving over something as simple as that. Most HP's don't come with Password reset jumpers if they are business class this is the same for most American computer manufacturers, its to much of a security risk to include a jumper on the board if you are in a corporate environment, it makes it absolutely redundant to initiate security if it is easily removed.

The problem with raising hell over a situation like that is it could have been a simple mistake by the salesmen, they might have forgotten to give you the password, considering that most companies will password a machine on display so that people cant adjust and screw up $300 in profit for them.

If you go to Staples or Office Depot a big American office supply chain you wont even find a computer on the shelf that isn't password protected, you can't even login without a rep logging in for you. Its safety over customer in this situation and I would have to agree considering customers tend to screw stuff up on a daily basis and I wouldn't want to spend an hour every re-formatting and messing up the half-life of a hard drive, because every good computer tech. knows that the more you format the hard drive the weaker the sectors get.

Comment

Originally posted by ajaxsaur View Post
            Wouldn't the best course of action be to simply open up the side of the case since it probably has a pop-able case and remove the battery over night, it doesn't seem logical to go ranting and raving over something as simple as that. Most HP's don't come with Password reset jumpers if they are business class this is the same for most American computer manufacturers, its to much of a security risk to include a jumper on the board if you are in a corporate environment, it makes it absolutely redundant to initiate security if it is easily removed.

The problem with raising hell over a situation like that is it could have been a simple mistake by the salesmen, they might have forgotten to give you the password, considering that most companies will password a machine on display so that people cant adjust and screw up $300 in profit for them.

If you go to Staples or Office Depot a big American office supply chain you wont even find a computer on the shelf that isn't password protected, you can't even login without a rep logging in for you. Its safety over customer in this situation and I would have to agree considering customers tend to screw stuff up on a daily basis and I wouldn't want to spend an hour every re-formatting and messing up the half-life of a hard drive, because every good computer tech. knows that the more you format the hard drive the weaker the sectors get.
            1. BIOS passwords are NOT security; they are annoyances.

2. GENUINE MISTAKE?! They should not even have been USING the machine AT ALL. It's a BRAND NEW BOX.

3. Isn't the HP Pavilion a laptop? I coulda sworn it was...

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter
              3. Isn't the HP Pavilion a laptop? I coulda sworn it was...
              http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...?pageName=land

Err yes and no.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Stonelaughter and Ajaxsaur. I have PMed you both about this thread and would appreciate a reply to my comments. Thanks guys.

This thread will remain locked until I receive the replies.

BritBiker, if you are still having problems, please feel free to start a new thread and use the same topic tile if you wish. There is no double post penalty in this instance.

My apologies for your thread being disrupted.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I soft deleted any objectionable posts.

Thread will remain locked.
                  Last edited by rvalstar; 21st February 2007, 17:16.
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                  X