No announcement yet.

Dumb move with new install.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb move with new install.

I was having horrible "blue screen of death" issues with my XP Home Edition on my DEll Inspirion 8500.
    The hard drive was too full, lots of different programs loaded, etc..
    I was getting a page fault error, over and over.
    So I reinstalled XP over my existing intallation, but like a dummy, I forgot to remove my password from my primary account.
    The reinstall worked like a charm and I defraged and cleaned up my hardrive.
    I tried to retrieve all my emails, favorites and other setting from my Documents and Settings>user account, but when I click on that folder XP wont allow me to access it,it still is protected by the original logon password.
    Is there anyway to access that old user account so I can rebuild my setting and information?
    Thanks Brad

Re: Dumb move with new install.

You'll need to take ownership of the files then you'll be able to set any permissions you want (and therefore access them).

To take ownership you'll need to boot into Safe Mode (because it's XP Home) -> browse to the folder(s) and/or file(s) you can't access -> go to the Properties -> Security tab -> click the Advanced button -> select the Owner tab -> select Administrators and click Apply or OK.

I wrote the above completely from memory so it might not be 100% accurate as far as what to click but the concepts hold true.

Post back to let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: Dumb move with new install.

I don't think it's a dump move.
      i think that there are at least 3 ways to access this folders.
      1. the easiest one. if you have some bootable cd like volkof commander with NTFS for dos support and long file names support or mini PE CD (windows XP boot from cd), then you can simply copy the files you want.
      2. You can use "Offline password reset" bases on Linux, with that tool you can reset the password of any local user.
      3. you can goto
      and download SCESP4I.EXE, make sure to read the README files,
      after running this file, right click on Setup.inf and select install, this tool will give you the ability to change security (NTFS security) (add the Security TAB), and then you can reset your previous folder's permission to everyone or to your current user.