Change Password Batch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Password Batch

Ok i need to change the admin password on about 30 computers in our labs. Is there any way you can do it with a batch file or reg or combo?
    Thanks
    Mike

Re: Change Password Batch

Mike,

What server/ client software do you have?

What password do you want to change- the local machine?

Comment

i am not sure on the server i belive 2003. And the clients are xp sp2. I am sure there is a way from server side to do this but they dont want to do it so we have to do it manally. I was going to create a batch to change the administrator password.
      Thanks
      Mike

Comment

Mike,

I am still not sure what you are referring to.

If, you to change the local computer account of the XP machines from the server, you can do this from Computer management > Connect to remote computer.

As for scripting, I am not sure, but someone who does know will probably be along soon.

Comment

We have 30 xp computers they all have the same local admin password. We want to change the password to another password that will be the same on all 30 computers. Now insteat of hitting contol alt del change password one each and every computer i want script somehting that will change the password for you.
          Thanks
          Mike

Comment

Mike,

I cannot help with the script, but If a user is logged on to the domain, pressing CTL + ALT + DEL would result in their domain account password being changed - not the local (machine account) one.

The age and password complexity is governed by the configuration set in default domain account policy on the domain controller.

Simon

Comment

correct i under stand that but you need to read what i type local admin account so crtr alt del would change the local admin password. just to updated you.
              here is the command for batch if you wanted to know
              net user Administrator password
              change password to what ever you want it to be.
              Mike

Comment

themlruts,

You have just taught me a lesson - thanks.

On my home domain, I tried the following.

Logged on to the machine locally, I managed to change the password for a domain account - albeit, you need to know the username and old password.

Logged on to the domain from the same machine I could change the local admin password - again with the existing credentials.

Thanks! Rep left.

Simon

Comment

How about using TELNET or RCMD or PSEXEC and running

Code:
                  net user administrator newpassword
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                    How about using TELNET or RCMD or PSEXEC and running

Code:
                    net user administrator newpassword
                    Brilliant - more ways to administer, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by themlruts View Post
                      i am not sure on the server i belive 2003. And the clients are xp sp2. I am sure there is a way from server side to do this but they dont want to do it so we have to do it manally. I was going to create a batch to change the administrator password.
                      Thanks
                      Mike
                      You are obviously not an administrator on the network if you don't know what server O/S you are running.
                      It also seems sus that "they" don't want to do it simply from the server.
                      This looks more like a student finding a way to change to local admin password for the Lab machines.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        You are obviously not an administrator on the network if you don't know what server O/S you are running.
                        It also seems sus that "they" don't want to do it simply from the server.
                        This looks more like a student finding a way to change to local admin password for the Lab machines.
                        I'm just waiting for Tom (Stonelaughter) to chime in or, better yet, Elvis to pick up his tickets at "Will-Call" (Lived in Houston, TX some time back and the "American" football coach would always leave tickets for Elvis at the Will-Call window for good luck -- long after he had departed).

To the OP, themlruts, here's the deal:

30 machines in a lab w/ 1 person @ 2-3 minutes per machine = 1 - 1.5 hours.

Less than writing / testing something to do this from wherever.

Makes this look more and more suspicious...
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Yes this my sound like i am trying to hack the ssystem and no i am not the admnisitor. Were i go to we have aprogram for students its called the STAR (Student Technoglu Achidemic Resorce) pragram. I myself are in the program as a supervisor. I decided to go back to school late i hae been in th work force as a Tech for about 4 years. So i do have some expercience. When shcool is not in session we are given special projects to do. I ataully det a very nice batch fill since i had to istall SAV and DEPPfreeze on our labs. THen we had to change the passwords. So no i am not tryuing to hack it Just trying to stre3am line the proccess. The server side people have to much to do so they give this to the help desk to do. I am just doing what i am doing to help speed the process. So for all who think i am trying to hack i am not. Thanks for all your help. As for the server quetion i belive its 2003 enterprise.
                          Mike

Comment

Hi.
                            I want to add a little comment to Daniel Petri's one (I'm not trying to say anything by that, just thought it should appear in this article), the link for PStools from Microsoft site for the PSEXEC command tool.
                            http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/pstools.mspx

Comment

Originally posted by themlruts View Post
                              Yes this my sound like i am trying to hack the ssystem and no i am not the admnisitor. Were i go to we have aprogram for students its called the STAR (Student Technoglu Achidemic Resorce) pragram. I myself are in the program as a supervisor. I decided to go back to school late i hae been in th work force as a Tech for about 4 years. So i do have some expercience. When shcool is not in session we are given special projects to do. I ataully det a very nice batch fill since i had to istall SAV and DEPPfreeze on our labs. THen we had to change the passwords. So no i am not tryuing to hack it Just trying to stre3am line the proccess. The server side people have to much to do so they give this to the help desk to do. I am just doing what i am doing to help speed the process. So for all who think i am trying to hack i am not. Thanks for all your help. As for the server quetion i belive its 2003 enterprise.
                              Mike
                              Still I'm thinking a manual change will be more effective over all given the number of machines and, I imagine, their close proximty to each other.

Also, get the Google tool bar (or something) and spell check before you send.

Good luck.
                              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X