This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password not working at startup

My password at startup is not working, is this some sort of hash related thing ( I read somewhere)..Help, I dont know what to do, and I messed with things I shouldn't

heres the deal:

I was messing around in CMD and somehow my password for my user account does not work anymore at startup. This is my personal laptop and I had my account set up to ask for password at start and to deny most privilages to guest user. I am running Windows XP on an HP pavillion.

I was messing around with Net View User in cmd. I was just exploring what info it would tell me. I saw that on my account and this administrator's account (the aspnet thing) that under the info it said PasswordREQ: NO. I Didnt like that idea so i tried to follow the instructions on CMD reference to change the passwrd req to yes. Long story short it didnt happen cause i have to be admin I guess.

At some point while trying to fix that, I started a new instance of CMD and when I did Net View Users again it showed all these other users like Accountant 1, Vice President, Student, Kimberly and others where as before the accounts were just me and the admin.

I think I know what caused this: At some point I was asked by computer if I wanted to run something and it was from an .edu site, but I dont remeber who it was and i didnt recognize it. It was dumb I let it run, it was late, and I just clickerd it in a zombie like fashion anyway.

So when I started the computer the next day, start listed all of those accounts to choose from. I wasnt worried but then when I went to my account and typed in my password It didnt work. The hint was there and it was the right hint, but my password was not working. I tried several times, no luck.

Big problem is that logging on as another user like the vice president has major restrictions that I previously set, so I dont know what to do. I can however access cmd prompt.

Please help me, I dont know how to fix this without doing some major work like a second OS or something. What about a recovery point? I tried under the VP account to set password req on my normal account to no and got system error 5. I knew this wouldnt help but maybe this is useful info. I cant do asnything that involves changing accounts or looking at security and the like on GUI.

Re: Password not working at startup

Welcome to the forum.

Is the laptop part of a domain? If so, ask your network admin to reset the local password for you.

Comment

Im not sure what you mean as domain.

This is a home network.

Comment

lavademon, can you explain this? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12523

Read the rules please.
        http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=27
        2) No double posting

Not here. Post once, wait for an answer. Do NOT post your "very important" question on more than one forum, and never post the same question again. If you have new issues regarding your "old" question - just follow your first thread and post to it. Members that cannot understand this simple rule will be banned.
        I think a deep, heart-felt, long winded apology to Daniel might appease his anger but in all likelihood you're gonna take a two week vacation from this forum.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

No need to apologize.

Triple post? 3 weeks ban.

Last edited by danielp; 11th January 2007, 01:51.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

HI there,

thanks for not helping me. i came to this site because i thought I would get some help. No, I won't apologize. No need like you said. I dont really care about being apart of your site- I have better things to do. Oh and the not letting me register again because you have the mac or some other annoying monitoring means isn't so slick.

I just wanted some help because its urgent. Guess i'll ask people who are wlling to help not shun. Your site was hard to figure out at first so the whole double posting thing I thought applied to a particular forum, not the whole site-well excuse me! Your website isnt that prestigous, so don't act like some super important administrator dictating your power. Like a cop, power hungry. Perhaps you should go outside and enjoy life or something.

Oh yeah, Jeremy, funny your up Rockville, im around here.

Later

take your wife out to dinner.

and dont use cheers as your goodbye when you dont mean it

Comment

Originally posted by honkeetonk View Post
              I just wanted some help because its urgent.
              Not too urgent that you wouldn't have time to rant of course
              Your site was hard to figure out at first
              <constraint softball_lob_for_making_joke="hold_tongue">JeremyW </constraint>

Oh yeah, Jeremy, funny your up Rockville, im around here.
              Maybe you could hire me to fix your computer. Then you'd be the boss and wouldn't have to conform to....<constraint generate_joke="revise">JeremyW</constraint>...Then you'd be the boss and we can do it your way.

Sorry, but the fact is, it's Daniel's prerogative to run HIS site how he wants... and it doesn't seem to hurt because there's no lack of traffic (over 200 users on while I'm typing this)

Well I've enjoyed your post but I'm sure you're gonna get another (well deserved) ban.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Next time, please don't assume that your interpretation of the rules is correct, ASK.

I have never seen a forum where double posting only referred to a particular forum.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Guess dip sheet has more time to whine about not following the simple rules than fixing HIS stuffup.
                  Originally posted by lavademon
                  Help, I dont know what to do, and I messed with things I shouldn't
                  Originally posted by honkeetonk
                  Your site was hard to figure out at first
                  2) No double posting

Not here. Post once, wait for an answer. Do NOT post your "very important" question on more than one forum, and never post the same question again. If you have new issues regarding your "old" question - just follow your first thread and post to it. Members that cannot understand this simple rule will be banned.
                  Yes, I alway find Rule number 2 (that's the second rule on the list lavatonk, it is just after Rule 1. You can count past rule ONE, can't you?) very confusing. Looks like you should have taken English Reading classes along with How not to stuff up laptop classes.

Maybe you can pop into one of the help sites where you have to pay money to get the advise on how to fix it. This site is a community service and EVERYONE gives their time freely. All that is expected is a thank you when the fix works. Instead you have taken the trouble to post in 3 different forums, were advised of that, didn't even say "oops, I got confused and it won't happen again" and then get ticked off and waste the time you could have spent joining another "hard to understand site" and post there in 2 or 3 different forums.

I would like to be real insulting to you but this is not my site so I am being polite (besides, I think my insults might be too confusing for your intellectual capacity to understand.)

One thing, I do not get the correlation between lavademon, honkeetonk and brinkman.

Goodbye. I don't expect we shall see you round here again after Daniel reads your tripe. Oh and please, I hope you get in big doo doo with your boss over screwing up the laptop.

Oh yes, Cheers!
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have no personal issue with anyone, and we are all here to try and help. But when someone comes to MY house as my guest and then starts to break things I will stop him.

And now he comes back in, and starts mocking me/us.

That's too much. No it IS personal.

Good luck.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                    X