changed admin pswd and can't get in to active directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed admin pswd and can't get in to active directory

My network guy quit, and thinking I was being responsible, I changed all the passwords for anyone who could get into the network using terminal server. This also included the admin and administrator. I changed the passwords on the pdc and now can not get into manager users. The whole "Local Users and Groups" folder has a red X and I get the message "Naming Information cannot be located because: Login attempt failed." After changing the passwords, I didn't reboot. Should I?

Re: changed admin pswd and can't get in to active directory

Originally posted by RLH View Post
    The whole "Local Users and Groups" folder has a red X and I get the message "Naming Information cannot be located because: Login attempt failed." After changing the passwords, I didn't reboot. Should I?
    Are you attempting to do this from a DC? (no Local Users and Groups on a DC)
    What OS is are you using?
    Do you have multiple DCs?
    What method did you use to change the passwords?
    Are you also trying to change the local Administrator account on member servers and workstations?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If you are logged in as a user which you have just changed the password for, then yes, logoff and back on with the new password.

Topper.
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

We're on a Windows NT 2000 network. I followed the directions on changing passwords found here, in fact. It was as simple as resetting a user's password. I was logged on as the admin when I changed them. I re-booted last night and that's all it took. I was just afraid to re-boot and have it not come up. I really need to get a network guy. Thanks for your attention.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X