Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Admin. password and missing NTLDR, lost everything?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Admin. password and missing NTLDR, lost everything?

Hi,
    Yesterday I was using my 4 y.o. Compaq laptop (purchesed in Europe, now in US with no original cds so I used my friend's), when I got home, I turned it on and got the Missing NTLDR message. I made a research, also went to bookstore, and everything seemed pretty simple, just use a Win XP Pro cd -this is what I have on as OS- and type this and that. I have seen that here too before what I should type but I never actually get to the point to copy the file because the administrator key. I tried to use the one I use when I log in to Windows but it is obviously not the one I need, tried other words, too, nothing working. My friend back in EU helped me for the partition when last time I refreshed/reinstalled my Win but I can't recall if we used any password in the BIOS -I didnt want in case I forget since I wont use it frequently, so as I did forget.
    I really hope I dont have to reinstall my Win and lose all my very important information I have on -including my college thesis...

Oh, when I pressed F10 so I logged in to the Bios(?) there was an option to change password, which I didn't see was asking for the old one, just the new and re-type the new word. Is this the one I should use for the admin key? I wasn't sure and I dont want to make the bad worse!

Thank you very much!!!!!

Re: My Admin. password and missing NTLDR, lost everything?

The BIOS password has NOTHING to do with windows and NTLDR.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

(purchesed in Europe, now in US with no original cds so I used my friend's)
      Pirate alert? You MUST own a licensed copy of Windows in order to install it; and if you own a licenced copy you are likely to have your own CD, no?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

It is asking for the Administrator key when I try to repair my windows by using the install cd.

I have everything original, but as I stated I moved from Europe 2 years ago, I did not bring all my softwares with me. My friend's Win XP cd should have done the repair.
        I do not know why you are so negative, all my stuff is on my laptop, research for publications, thesis, pictures etc and I am out of my mind right now.

Comment

I'm not being negative at all; I just note that from long experience, when someone says "I don't have the original CD's so I'm using a friend's", it usually means that they don't own a copy of Windows. Which makes them a thief.

If it's asking for the Administrator Password when you try to install, there are a large number of solutions already posted in this very forum; have you tried reading the already posted threads? Oh, and have you tried entering no password and pressing "enter"? It's just possible that it doesn't have one...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Fess View Post
            I do not know why you are so negative, all my stuff is on my laptop, research for publications, thesis, pictures etc and I am out of my mind right now.
            If the stuff on your laptop is that important then you should take it to a professional to recover the data for you.

If you keep messing around and trying things you could wipe out all your data. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have no floppy drive. And yes, I have tried to just leave it blank and press enter, but nothing happened, just giving me the other 2 options.

I read thru in this forum, put it in the search engine ntldr and also admin password. I have read them and the one fit my problem, the suggestions, I tried -as I read in the bookstore and other sites, too- but giving advise here on Petri for a person name Kenja, I think, the post has stopped giving the full solution for the problem.

I really can't afford to buy new hard drive, pay hundreds for a professional and then buy a new computer.

Oh, it says, when I turn it on, Press F10 for Rom blahblah. So not sure if this is the BIOS or not..

Thanks all!!!!!
              Last edited by Fess; 30th December 2006, 20:01.

Comment

Ok, my Win Xp is on my European language, and the one I try to boot from, is in english. Shouldn't it be a problem, should it..?

Comment

One option to try BEFORE you start messing around with it, it to remove the HDD and use an adapter to connect it to a normal PC, save ALL your data and settings off the laptop HDD. Now if you totslly mess up the "recovery" your data will not be lost.

Lastly, if yoyr thesis is important to you, make sure you back it up EVERY time you make change, modify or add to it. Make sure you have at least THREE different backup. It can be a pain, but try redoing the thesis if you corrupt it 1 day before having to hand it in. DO NOT save the bloody thing to a floppy disk. Rewritable CD, USB Pen Drive, online storage (ie GMail), USB HDD are but a few options.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                    Ok, my Win Xp is on my European language, and the one I try to boot from, is in english. Shouldn't it be a problem, should it..?
                    I'm going to stay on the sidelines on this one as it scares me (and I'm not scared easily).

I am interested, if you get this sorted out, how using a different language disk than the original install works out. Please let us know.

And best of luck.
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hello!

After all this, I've fixed the problem! At leats looks like it now.

OK, so the Windows was in a different language then the CD I wanted to use to repair. Repair cd is in english. I had an administrator password to log in to Windows and other people also who want to use my machine.

So I made a friend of mine to send a same language Win XP cd like the one I have on the computer. Logged in with password, then typed the code in. But didn't work.. I just mistyped it. Then my boot.ini was invalid, so since my NTLDR was already repaired and was able to run windows, I looked what this boot.ini thing means. I had to go on : Right click my computer, Properties, Special then over there somehow I had to put the new log in. Here it is (for Win XP Pro only):

[boot loader]
                      timeout=30
                      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                      [operating systems]
                      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Save the file.

I havent rebooted yet, but I checked it and it says the file is good and valid.

So the only problem was the different language OS cd.

Comment

Thanks for posting back!
                        Glad you're able to get back in.

I recommend you start making backups of all your important data. When you have backups, you can troubleshoot with confidence knowing that a worst cast scenario is just a reformat and restore; nothing lost.

Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                        X