Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Login

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a used laptop and would like to log on, but I am not able to. There are many domains in the domain list. I am not sure what they are, but I assume that these were used by the previous owner. I just want to log into the local laptop.

Since I can not log in, I can not create a user for myself. Is there a way to get in just so that I can do that? Thank you.

Re: Windows XP Login

Why not contact the person you bought it from and ask them for the password?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by dogmar View Post
      Hello All,

There are many domains in the domain list.

There should only be two - the name of the domain and the name of the machine or local name.

I just want to log into the local laptop. Is there a way to get in just so that I can do that?

If you cannot contact the original owner, the best way around it is to boot from a XP set-up disc (I assume you are covered by Volume Licensing) and repair. From here, you can choose the Admin password and keep any data.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

well, that seems to be a problem. That person does not appear to be available anymore. Not sure what to say about that...

There are 3 fields in the login screen. The first is user name, second is password and the third is Log on to. Under log on to, there are 14 options. One of them is the computer name and in (), this computer. That is the one I would want.

I tried a third part tool to reset the admin password, but when I try to use the local option with Administrator and nothing for the password, it still does not work.

Does the XP setup disc have to be the original one used to load the system? Thing is, it came with XP loaded. That is great because I can not afford to buy XP again. Do you have a link for how to use the setup disc for this purpose? Thank you again!
        Last edited by dogmar; 28th December 2006, 00:41.

Comment

Simonsays, I tried the recovery CD, but am prompted for the administrator password. Since I do not know it, I tried 3 times and struck out. System rebooted. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Comment

Under log on to, there are 14 options.

I have never seen this before - XP is only capable of belonging to one domain.

I tried a third part tool to reset the admin password, but when I try to use the local option with Administrator and nothing for the password, it still does not work.

I am not sure what utility you are using, but a reliable one I have used succesfully requires a XP set-up disc and can be found at the Daniel Petri home page.

Does the XP setup disc have to be the original one used to load the system? Thing is, it came with XP loaded.

This comes down to licensing. If you wish to *re-load* a fresh operating system, you have to be licensed to do so, yes.
            If you are part of a domain, the Domain administrator can reset the local password for you whilst connected to the domain.

Comment

Simonsays, I tried the recovery CD, but am prompted for the administrator password. Since I do not know it, I tried 3 times and struck out. System rebooted. Any ideas? Thanks again.
              It sounds like the Recovery CD is a *full* install disc. If so, choose to repair the current install.

When the computer restarts after the text based part, and displays the first GUI section, press Shift and F10. You will be promped with a User dialog box. From here, you can reset the current admin password.

Comment

It is a full install CD. I choose r for recover, but that is when it asks for the admin password.

First, it asks which windows installation I would like to repair. I choose 1 (there is only 1).

Then it asks for the password....

The admin reset third party tool I tried was a Linux based script. It seems to work, but then when I try to login, the system tells me the password is not correct...

Comment

I don't understand... I have used this method several times and it has not asked me for an Admin password - that was the idea of the whole procedure in the first place.

* I booted from the XP disc.

* Select "Set-up" Windows XP.

* It will then tell you there is already a version of XP installed - would you like to repair it. Select your version.

After the text based set-up, the computer will restart and you will be presented with the first GUI part. Now press Shift and F10 to be presented with the user dialog.

If this does not work, it might be easier to join the domain still listed and ask the domain admin to reset the local password from the Domain controller.

Comment

I have never seen this before - XP is only capable of belonging to one domain.
                    Correct, however you can log onto domains that have trusts between them. (someone help me here).

Regardless I have a had time believing that this laptop was "SOLD" to you from an organization with all that data on it.
                    I wish you no luck in logging on to it, at best you'll wipe it.
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thank you for your help so far.

I am not able to contact the admin unfortunately. I do not know who that would be. The laptop was purchased used...

I also tried the link from this parent site. I got the administrator password hash? and typed it in and submitted it. It came back blank. But just leaving it blank does not work....

This one seems to be a challenge. I am sorry to be a PITA....Any additional ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

Dogmar, do you have an XP disc that came with the laptop? Is there a Microsoft COA sticker on the laptop? Did you get a receipt and/or documentation with the laptop?
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Why do you say that you wish me no luck Lior? What data is on it? I can not access any data. I can not even log in. Please save your impolite comments for elsewhere. Thank you.

Comment

Hi Jeremy. The laptop did not come with discs. There is a sticker on the bottom with a windows 2000 key on it. The laptop is running XP now though. I bought this laptop from a person on Craigs list. I paid cash when they showed me that it worked. They logged on to it when I was buying it and I did not get the password. Now I have tried to call them and email them for 2 weeks, but they have not responded.

It is certainly making me wonder, but I have not idea what to do. I need to use it and I bought it, but I dont have all the money in the world to blow to get it fixed or whatever. That is why I am trying to get it to work. Does this help?
                            Last edited by dogmar; 28th December 2006, 01:55.

Comment

You say you purchased the machine used, so I assume there is no data on the machine you need.

If this is the case, boot from the disc and choose to re-install the Operating system with the disc and License key you own.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X