No announcement yet.

Sif file password Decryption

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sif file password Decryption

I know how you all love to bash users for forgetting passwords. I'm not sure if this is a keystroke error, my ris helper not using one the passwords 4 passwords I provided or what but I have the password to the local system encrpyted in the sif file wich its not supposed to be encrypted and I just can't seem to find any information on how it setupmgr encrypts that information or any information on how to decrypt it. So I'm pretty much in the same boat as all the other suckers that forgot their password. Although I would appriciate any help on decrypting the password from the SIF file.

I'm new to the site but I like the layout, I do alot with RIS and I was suprised you don't have a section dedicated to it. May not be the best way to deploy windows but I like it. Just a thought.

Re: Sif file password Decryption

Hi dpfleger,
    Please also refer to my reply to your private message, which I took as referring to an admin password.

I have no idea how RIS or other setup programs encrypt their password, but on the assumption that it cannot be undone, how much work would it take to create another SIF file for this installation? That may be your quickest and easiest way. I've googled for SIF passwords and cannot find any links on decryption

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **