X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant boot from CD-Rom / No administrative rights

Hi Guys,

The problem :

I have recentley purchased a Dell aptop (Latitude D610). from a company liquidation auction. I have now got it home to find that there is an administrators password which is stopping me from running software or even allowing me to fresh install Windows XP.

The question :

As i cannot run software from CD and there is no floppy, what other options are
    available to me?

Also please excuse me if there is an answer to this on other threads but i have just spent the last hour looking and cant see anything similar.

i appreciate your help as i am trying to get this laptop working for my wife for Christmas.

Many thanks

GekBrit

Re: Cant boot from CD-Rom / No administrative rights

Dells often have a whole set of passwords in the BIOS - admin ones, user ones etc. This is nothing to do with Windows Administrators. You need to find out how to reset the BIOS on a Dell D610 - which I suspect will mean shorting out some pins on the motherboard with all the batteries out. With that done, you will be able to go into the BIOS and tell the system to put the CD drive first in the boot order... then you can boot from your own Windows XP CD and install it from fresh.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi, Stonelaughter.

The boot sequence in the bios is already on CD first however, when i place the xp CD in the CD drive it does not automatically boot from the CD ?
      any other idea ?

Comment

Is this a genuine/original XP CD? If it is one that has had a Service Pack slipstreamed onto it then it may not have been made bootable. I think Dell use a hidden partition to place there Recovery files. There will be a key sequence to invoke the Recovery Menu.

When the laptop is booting, try pressing the SPACEBAR a few times during the boot process. This is sometime needed to get it to boot from the CD if there is already an O/S on the HDD.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

( Updated ) Re: Cant boot from CD-Rom / No administrative rights

Thanks Biggle i will give it a try and let you know.

Quick question - is it possible for the original administrator to have disabled the laptop from having the ability to do an install from the BOOT. ?

Cheers

GekBrit

p.s i can login to the computer as a user - however when i go to change to become the administrator its at that point that the Password is requested.

Comment

and yes this is an original XP cd.

thanks

Comment

*SOLVED** Cant boot from CD-Rom / No administrative rights

Hi Guys, i have spent most of the day tring to work this one out and found this brilliant solution - im surprised no one here had passed this knowledge on if i guess they may have new ?

all the same here is the link and hey ho -its so simple

good luck !

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/window...for-windows-xp

grin:

Comment

Booting from the CD and the solution you have posted have nothing in common.

Resetting the admin password is a completely different issue.

Somehow your real problem was lost in translation.
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I guess thats why amatuers come here for a little guidance, i guess sometimes a little probing as to the true nature of an issue rather than just a estimated guess would be more productive.
                  Nonetheless thanks for your help and - excuses for being more educated in my description.

cheers

gekbrit

Comment

Originally posted by GekBrit View Post
                    Hi Guys,
                    or even allowing me to fresh install Windows XP.
                    As i cannot run software from CD
                    Most of us are not all that keen on cracking passwords. The quote above is what got everyone off and running on the boot from CD issue as a fresh install is always a good idea on a second hand machine.
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X