• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the alternative login trick

iv gone threw all the steps it told me too and when i input the command

"set user administrator 123456"

it comes back with access denied

what did i do wrong? how can i get past that

except instead of installing the samn OS on the harddrive i moved it to another computer set it as slave then did what i had to do then moved it back to the orginal computer...should i have kept it on the computer i was using it as slave on and did it from there..? if you dont understand just ask ill try to explain it in more detail or to make it less confusing its hard for me to explain things wheni type them
    Last edited by xSeanx; 22nd December 2006, 01:59.

Re: Help with the alternative login trick

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administ...ogon_trick.htm

Note: The information found on this page is valid ONLY for Windows NT 4.0, and for some earlier versions of Windows 2000 (prior to more advanced service packs). DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRY THIS ON WINDOWS XP PRO MACHINES, you will only waste your time.
    Although the CMD box is under the SYSTEM account, Microsoft removed most of SYSTEM's privs from its privilege token (vs. just disabling them) in this one instance leaving just enough privs to allow for the logon dialog. In other words, they closed this back door.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

so in other words short of cracking the password via the hash file im sol? iv tried almost ever linux based bootdisk claiming to inject a password into the sam file none work

Comment

I didn't say that. Just that the "alternate logon" backdoor was closed.

You could try a repair w/ Shift-F10:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...pair+shift-f10

I did a repair yesterday for a friend w/ a blown m'board (new m'board required a new HAL) and the Shift-F10 does pop up a CMD box. I did not try to change the password there as I didn't need to but I did confirm you do not get asked for a new admin password later in the process so the Shift-F10, if it works, is the deal.

You should also look at:

http://www.petri.co.il/reset_domain_...er_2003_ad.htm

Not that you are trying to reset the domain admin password on W2K3 but because the service trick may be an alternate way to accomplish what the old "alternate logon" trick did.

You probably can't run INSTSRV on the target w/out sufficient rights but all it does is put a few lines in the registry that you then have to edit. If you could do this via remote registry edits doing your slave disk bit, this may work.

Note you may need to make CMD.EXE run a .CMD file that has a nice long SLEEP (about 2 minutes) in the front before the NET USER ADMINISTRATOR 123456 as XP may take a while before it is ready to accept the NET USER (even if a workgroup machine).

This is conjecture on my part as I have not done this INSTSRV / SRVANY approach but I have made a service before that popped up a CMD box, much like the old "alternate logon" trick, and a 2 minute wait was what it took to get it to work.

Finally, someone on these forums had good luck w/ BartPE. I don't know exactly what was done (reset or crack the password -- I'm not a fan of cracking) but a quick search should help you determine if that's the way to go.

Do let us know what you find.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

thank you very much for ur help i will try and get back with the results.

Comment

its been a long time but here are my results for me at left shift-F10 does not bring up cmd.exe and iv tried all ur suggests non worked

Comment

Hmmm. Not much information here:

Originally posted by xSeanx View Post
              its been a long time but here are my results for me at left shift-F10 does not bring up cmd.exe and iv tried all ur suggests non worked
              What exactly did you try and what exactly did not work?

I'm going to do a W2K and a WXP repair today so I'll try this again and see if it works for me:

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
              If you just do the repair without the Shift-F10, doesn't it reset the SAM anyway and ask you for a new Administrator password?

If not (been a while since I did a repair), here's a nice link to a recipe for this Shift-F10 approach:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305

As always, no express or implied warranty nor any recommendation to pursue this approach.
              Regarding adapting the W2K3 SRVANY bit, here's a recent post reporting success that may give you an idea or two:

Originally posted by Kibo View Post
              I'll break it down into rough steps, in case others might find this useful--but first, a disclaimer: I am not a server guru, just a hack that likes tinkering with things on my own. Follow my directions at your own risk, and certainly heed any warnings/suggestions as provided by those on this forum that are certainly more knowledgeable than myself!

Here it is:

<snipped -- Click the ">" above to see the post>

Hope that someone finds this useful!

Erik
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Well I got through the W2K repair today and the Shift-F10 worked as advertised. I did a NET USER Administrator 123456 and it worked as desired.

This was done with a W2K SP1 CD (had to apply SP4 afterwards).

Did not get to the WXP (Media Center) today. That will probably happen Friday. Will report back if the Shift-F10 succeeds or not.
                Cheers,

Rick

Comment

i try everything above basically so i dont have to repeat what i tryed when do i apply the shift-F10? at boot screen and i am trying to get into win2k and i am trying to get access to the administrator account. need more info just ask im bad at explain things

Comment

I'm guessing then you did not read nor follow this:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305

It was embedded and fairly obvious in my original post:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...pair+shift-f10

Shift-F10 works just fine w/ a W2K Pro SP1 CD.

If you have any disks > 137 MB, make sure the entire partition holding the OS is below the 137 MB barrier and apply SP4 first thing upon completion. Also don't forget to tweak the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

Your vague posts lead me to think you really haven't tried much. Otherwise, I would have expected something stating you tried the repair per the steps listed ... using a ... disk SPx and on step ... you could not get Shift-F10 to do anything when you saw the ... or it popped up a CMD box but ... didn't work.

I didn't even know what OS you have till now since you gave such little info

So you go forth and put in a bit of effort and then come back and tell us how it went.
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

no i have tried that you just dident ask lol i know you shouldent have to ask but like i said im like trying to help the elderly lol anyways things for the help i will try as above and yes i know they were vague i said they were going to be and im thankful for ur help that your giving me im going to try this i dont have a win2k sp 1 cd i only have one with sp 4 iv tryed the recovery dident work

and i am putting forth effort i prob accidently overlooked ur link abut the shift-f10 jeez

and oh it worked the shift-f10 thing thank you very very much for all ur help
                      Last edited by xSeanx; 5th January 2007, 05:24. Reason: worked...

Comment

Working...
                      X