Windows XP SP2 Admin password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP SP2 Admin password

I know this had been discussed alot in this forum, but please bare with me for a sec.
    I'm doing everything as described in previous posts, ie. boot from Windows installation CD, but I don't get an option to press f8 to accept Microsoft agreement and so forth, but instead setup goes straight into set up Windows XP now, repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R or quit Setup without installing Windows XP options. As soon as i select R to repair windows, setup asks for the admin password, which i can't remember and i can't proceed - any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP SP2 Admin password

Ok but why don't you use one of the other methods?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

You're trying the Repair in the wrong spot. Here are a few posts from these forums:

Originally posted by arberibrahimi View Post
      Instead of using recovery console, try windows repair. If windows xp instalation finds your existing crashed XP use windows repair.

Windows repair most of times saves your documents and only repairs errors.

Here is a link that can help in this case:
      http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Tell me if this was helpfull
      Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
      If you just do the repair without the Shift-F10, doesn't it reset the SAM anyway and ask you for a new Administrator password?

If not (been a while since I did a repair), here's a nice link to a recipe for this Shift-F10 approach:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305

As always, no express or implied warranty nor any recommendation to pursue this approach.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Maybe i did not provide all the background details.
        In the past, everytime i tried installing SP2, the installtion would freeze along the way and would not install. For some reason, this week, the insalltion completed without problems and as soon as my computer restarted, i get this error - Stop: c0000135" and "winsrv was not found" . I got a fix for this from the Microsoft site. Unfortunately, I am not able to boot at all, even on safe mode or to the last good configuration - so i decided to boot through the windows installtion disk, try and repair windows, or rn the fix, and take it from there. It is while trying to repair windows that i realised that i didn't remember my admin password and i'm now stuck. Again, any help is appreciated.

Comment

So I'm missing why you wouldn't be able to do a repair now (not the repair console). See the links.

Also, what fix did you receive? Include that link please.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X