Forgotten HP Power-on Password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten HP Power-on Password

One of my users (or their kids ) have set the Power-on Password on a HP nx6110 Notebook.

Does anybody know if there is a way to fix this other than sending it to HP for reset (as described in
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...name=c00375284)

Re: Forgotten HP Power-on Password

Pull BIOS battery?
    or maybe there is a jumper somewhere on the MoBo.... if you want to risk it on a laptop!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Pull BIOS battery?
      or maybe there is a jumper somewhere on the MoBo.... if you want to risk it on a laptop!
      If you do it by pulling the battery you're probably going to have to wait several days for the charge to dissipate. On desktops without a "BIOS RESET" jumper we used to remove the battery, and then identify the BIOS chip itself and use some copper braiding to short out all the pins on it. I would advise this only as an extreme last resort however on modern machines; they are actually quite fragile electrically these days.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The Power On password is set in the System BIOS options. It prevents unwanted users from accessing the computer. By default, HP does not set the Power On password. If you set the Power On password in the System BIOS options you will be prompted for it immediately after you power on the Notebook PC.
        If the password is forgotten, the best thing to do it take it to an HP certified repair center, but, Like the other's said, you can take the battery out to reset it. Either way, you are going to loose all your settings

--Kris--

Comment

Originally posted by Eternity View Post
          The Power On password is set in the System BIOS options. It prevents unwanted users from accessing the computer. By default, HP does not set the Power On password. If you set the Power On password in the System BIOS options you will be prompted for it immediately after you power on the Notebook PC.
          If the password is forgotten, the best thing to do it take it to an HP certified repair center, but, Like the other's said, you can take the battery out to reset it. Either way, you are going to loose all your settings

--Kris--
          ?!

I'm struggling to understand the value this post added to the thread...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Eternity View Post
            Like the other's said, you can take the battery out to reset it.
            Will this even work? It seems kinda pointless to have a security mechanism that can be bypass simply by removing the MoBo battery... but I guess it's another layer.
            Either way, you are going to loose all your settings
            Just for the BIOS. Your OS (and everything else on the HDD) settings will be unaltered.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
              ?!

I'm struggling to understand the value this post added to the thread...
              No offence but i would have said the same. If you have made this error and you are the legit owner of the laptop then i can't see it being an issue. I would call HP irs though as there will no doubt be a master password that you could use.

I know Dells are very tricky and take lots of work to remove a BIOS password when you have forgotten it. They hold a databse woth a list of master passwords on it but i think you need to be the legitimate owner of the laptop to get it.

Comment

Working...
              X