Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Floppy, CD won't read - How to reset admin password?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Floppy, CD won't read - How to reset admin password?

My brother has an Acer laptop with WinXP Pro. It does not have a floppy drive. The CD/DVD drive for some reason will write but not read CD'S. We wanted to update the drivers, but found he does not have admin access. We have tried booting as admin and leaving the password blank. That does not work, so there must be an admin password set.

Almost all the solutions to recovering an admin password require a bootable floppy or bootable CD. Obviously neither will work here.

I found this solution which is supposed to work, but it sound rather drastic and I am reluctant to try it as it could conceivably lock us out of the computer altogether. Can anyone comment on this solution? Has anyone tried it: http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sudhir/Hac...n_XP_Hack.html

Alternatively, If I connected the computer to my network at the office and logged in a domain admin to my SBS server domain, would that allow me to reset the local admin password on the computer?

Any other suggestions that do not involve a boot floppy, boot CD or disassembly of the laptop?

Re: No Floppy, CD won't read - How to reset admin password?

Problem solved, I think: It appears the inability of the CDROM to read CD's was a software driver problem and the computer will in fact boot from a CD with approriate drivers.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Now that your CD-ROM works as expected, what process did you use to solve your password issue?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

We retrieved the admin password using the Windows Password Recovery service here:

http://www.petri.com/forgot_administ...assword.htm#20

Oddly enough, as soon as we rebooted using the admin account, the CD worked.

Comment

Working...
          X