Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Password recovery for windows server 2000 (PCs runing on windows XP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password recovery for windows server 2000 (PCs runing on windows XP)

Hello.
    I would need to recover my administrator password on my windows 2000 network. I didn't access the network for over 6monthes, and I though i had used the same passwords as the one i used when I instaled windows XP on all my computers. Seams I did not.
    So, I have the administrator pass of my computers, but I dont have the network adminstrator passwords. i have some of my work assistants that have access to the network, but only as limited users.
    My PCs are running on windows XP, the server on Windows 2000.
    Do you know any way to recover this admin pass? Or even reset it, i dont really mind... recovery would be cleaner though in my opignon and i would prefer that option.
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    Have a nice day.

Re: Password recovery for windows server 2000 (PCs runing on windows XP)

By "network adminstrator" do you mean the Domain Admin in Active Directory or ???

Have you searched these forums and this site?

http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...ws_2000_ad.htm
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

yeah i do mean Domain Admin in Active Directory.
      I tryed the methode explained at http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_...ws_2000_ad.htm
      It won't work. when i type in the comand MMC DSA.MSC in the command prompt, i get an error message, such as couldn't find the file or couldn't open the file. When i go in my WINDOWS filles, DSA.MSC doesn't exist.
      Any idea how to solve this?
      thanks for your replies.

Comment

So nobody has an idea on how to solve my problem plz? would be very appreciated!!!

Comment

The AD management tools (DSA.MSC) don't just exist on any machine. You can install ADMINPAK.MSI (from the Windows 2000 CD or from Microsoft's website) to get them.

However I must wonder why and how is it possible that you're running the network for 6 months without this very basic knowledge, furthermore without the knowledge of your Domain Admin's password. How can that be? Don't you need to perform rutine tasks that require the admin's password?

All this brings me to the strange feeling that what you're trying to do is to break into the system. Am I right? You don't have to answer (and frankly, even if you say you're not I cannot check you to see if you're telling the truth).
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X