Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP recovery console password problem - deep doodoo

Help!

My wife's computer has crashed. It's a sony vaio PCG-R50SEL, with windows xp home (sp1 installed, not sp2 yet) installed on it. Cd drive, no floppy, not connected to a network besides standard internet connectivity. Somehow windows got hosed, and it loops back to the boot screen. She needs the thing restored, as too much work related stuff is on there that's not backed up. I've been looking for the answer to this question for a day now, please forgive me if it''s already been answered on page 9, I've only looked back to page 6, and search didn't help me, or I didn't know the right question.

I've tried various things. I've put in my xp home disk, and originally was going to try the recovery method described here -
    http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com....jsp?id=8658-0
    but was unable to access the recovery console, as neither I nor my wife knew the administrator password (compusa set this thing up, and couldn't help me when I called them about it). I used this utility to blank out the password -
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    which worked, I could then access the recovery console, and procede with the first part of the recovery method previously cited. But when I got to the part where you reboot into windows, it almost starts, but then I get a text box with the title "Lsass.exe" on top, and the message "when trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct." It then restarts the computer, and this repeats until I turn it off.

Any ideas how to get past this? Thanks very much for any help!

Re: WinXP recovery console password problem - deep doodoo

She needs the thing restored, as too much work related stuff is on there that's not backed up.
    If this is important data as you say and is NOT backed up, take the laptop to a computer shop that you trust and ask them to get the data off BEFORE you try anything else.

If you have any idea about PC related things, remove the HDD, connect it to a 2.5" to 3.5" HDD connector (USB prefered) plug it into a working PC that has it's anti-virus up to date and try and retrieve the data that way. You will need to Take Ownership of the folders and files so they can be copied off.

If you have no idea what I just said, find a computer shop/guy you can trust or you will loose your wife's data.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Instead of using recovery console, try windows repair. If windows xp instalation finds your existing crashed XP use windows repair.

Windows repair most of times saves your documents and only repairs errors.

Here is a link that can help in this case:
      http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Tell me if this was helpfull
      Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Beware, I had one of those and it would NOT do the Repair option. It recognised that there was a Windows folder already there and wouldn't do the repair "upgrade". If that happens and you proceed, bye, bye everything. Data gone!!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I concur w/ biggles77 that you could try removing the harddrive and mounting it on another system so that you can copy off the data.

As he states, mounting a 2.5" drive on a desktop (or another notebook w/out a second drive bay) will require an adapter. Several ways to do this.

Here is a device that may help (don't have one of these so no implied warranty): BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter - Retail. See http://www.byteccusa.com/product/adapter/BT-300.htm for details.

Another approach is to buy a mini, self powered USB2 external drive and open the case (there goes the warranty) to substitute this drive. I've done that.

Good luck,

Rick.
          Last edited by rvalstar; 2nd November 2006, 11:56. Reason: Missed Biggles77 first response.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks far all the advice. I tried the windows repair - at first it wouldn't let me do it, but after the steps I indicated it would, and it ran, but left the computer in the same state - the lsass.exe error message, then reboot. I'll advise my wife to take it to a shop, instead of continuing to trust me about it.

Comment

REMEMBER, use a shop you can trust. A shonky one will just format the drive and you loose the data.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Again, thanks for all the help, and a few ideas. My wife has opted for the cheapest possible course of action - she's made a list of the files she needs, and I get to sit at the dos prompt and move them all onto the D: partition (Yes! I'm an old command line diehard), and then run the sony set up disk, which will kill everything on c:, but make the machine like new. My solution was to buy her a new hard drive, or even a whole new computer (heck, christmas is coming...), but she likes this one I guess.

Comment

Can you buy me a new laptop instead? Christmas is coming and no one I know will get me ANYTHING...

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Have you been a good boy? Hmmm, I see.

Well, ok, maybe. I've got this nice rarely used barbie laptop here....

Comment

You double-faced...

Ahh, I'll take it only if a real barbie brings it along and teaches me how to use it.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

hehe - Barbie's on the way!

Anyway, just for some closure, I got my wife's computer out it's doodoo successfully. Which is very good as I probably caused the password problem while tinkering. Two things made this possible - a Linux live cd, and a 40gb usb hd I cobbled out of some spare parts I had. The linux disk was great - it loads a whole linux system into memory without touching the hd, so you have complete file access, usb support, cd burner support, everything - it made copying her files off onto the usb hd easy. Once everything was backed up, just ran the factory setup disks, and behold - a brand new computer! (and a hubby who still has to set up everything so the thing works like it used to)

Comment

Working...
                        X