Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Administrator without Administrator privileges?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator without Administrator privileges?

Hi Everyone,
    just startet my new job and have to install some Software for new instruments in the lab. no one knows the old admin password so I used a boot CD to reset it. Everything worked fine, I can log in as Administrator but thats it. Everytime I try to install something I got the message that I have not the rights to install anything.
    Tried to change the user setting but since the Administator account is not in the Administrator Group I can't change anything. Is this another special feature of XP Professional SP2?
    Any help would be great because I can't use the instruments without the software.

Kind regards
    Joi

Re: Administrator without Administrator privileges?

You need to check if the Administrator is the true builtin Administrator account.
    Go to your GPO, Computer Settings, Security Setting, Local policy, Security Option, Rename Administrator account.
    Check if it is Administrator
    Else
    Go to your computer managerment, Users and groups, verify that your administrator account is in administrators group.
    Just another MCP

Comment

Thanks for your help, someone replaced the Admin account with his own (this was probably one of the reasons he got fired ) , so I could log on to the admin account but it was a regular user account. After resetting the password to the other account I can log on with this account and have full rights.

Comment

You are always welcome ..

But its always good to rename it...
        Just another MCP

Comment

Working...
        X