Administrator Access Prohibited!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator Access Prohibited!

Something has gotten into my machine and set something in the registry. This setting prohibits me from accessing my PC as an Administrator! Let me explain.

Lately I have noticed that there are certain apps that won't install (Quicktime, Flash, etc.) When these packages attempt to install themselves, I get the message that I do not have administrative privileges and therefore can't do it. It then tells me to get the Administrator to do it.

OK... so I try to log on as the "Administrator" even though my user name does have Admin rights (so I thought by how I set the user up!). When I try to log in as the Administrator I get the message along the lines that a Registry setting has been changed and I am PROHIBITED from logging on as the Administrator! Not that I have a wrong password. I can get that error message if I enter a password, but leaving it blank I get the "Prohibited" message!

How do I fix this error in the registry? This has been a problem for a while and it needs to be fixed. All help GREATLY appreciated!

thanks... Paul

Re: Administrator Access Prohibited!

Could you please copy and paste the full error message here?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The error message is: Unable to log you on because of an account restriction.

Does that help?

Thanks....

---Paul

Comment

I forgot to mention I recently created another user called Administrator Extra (for lack of a better name), I also gave that one Administrator privlidges and it too won't let me in with "Administator" powers!

Also.... this is XP Home.

---Paul
        Last edited by psimon; 11th October 2006, 00:37.

Comment

Have you used Google on that error message? I did, and look ma, see what I found!

Error Message: Unable to Log You on Because of an Account Restriction:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290109

(there's more in the Google search)
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
            Have you used Google on that error message? I did, and look ma, see what I found!

Error Message: Unable to Log You on Because of an Account Restriction:
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290109

(there's more in the Google search)
            Yes I saw that... but I have a hard time believing that this is the root of the problem. I say this because were it to be true"
            • than anyone that buys a new iPod and wants to install iTunes, which requires Quicktime would be forbidden to install it! You don't hear about that happening.
            • anyone that wants to upgrade their Flash software would be forbidden.
            • I could list others...

So, my point is that, though I saw the Microsoft page, I'm not sure this is the issue. Wouldn't lots of people be screaming about this? Have you ever heard anyone say to install Quicktime you must go to the SAFE mode? Would I even have internet access to be able to do that in the SAFE more?

There has to be more to this puzzle.

All help GREATLY appreciated!

---Paul

Comment

Originally posted by psimon
              Yes I saw that... but I have a hard time believing that this is the root of the problem. I say this because were it to be true"
              • than anyone that buys a new iPod and wants to install iTunes, which requires Quicktime would be forbidden to install it! You don't hear about that happening.
              • anyone that wants to upgrade their Flash software would be forbidden.
              • I could list others...

So, my point is that, though I saw the Microsoft page, I'm not sure this is the issue. Wouldn't lots of people be screaming about this? Have you ever heard anyone say to install Quicktime you must go to the SAFE mode? Would I even have internet access to be able to do that in the SAFE more?

There has to be more to this puzzle.

All help GREATLY appreciated!

---Paul
              Did you read the article? It's talking about the default administrator account. You can create other users that have administrative privileges that can log on normally. Boot into safe mode, logon with the administrator account and check to make sure another user has administrative privileges. If you're still having trouble, post some screen shots of the Users utility (so we can see what privileges the accounts have)
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I just went through the exercise of bringing up the box in the Safe mode. Got in with no problem. I used the Safe mode with Networking. I went to the Quicktime site to install it knowing that I now had Admin privledges so I could upgrade to the current version.

I then get the message: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in the Safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

So... I can't install Quicktime in the Safe mode, and even though the User Control Panel says I have Admin rights, Quicktime says I can't because it thinks I do not have the rights! I'm stuck either way!

Thanks.... Paul

Comment

please try the following:

create a new user call it kuku (or something else ) and add him to the administrator group and try to install software with that user loged on.
                  MCSE 2000 Done
                  RHCE Done

Comment

Originally posted by yaniv
                    please try the following:

create a new user call it kuku (or something else ) and add him to the administrator group and try to install software with that user loged on.
                    I did that. Called it Administrator Extra (for lack of anything better at the time). Made sure it said Administor for it's rights.

It too gets the same response... that I don't have Administrator rights to install that software!

Just starts to drive you batty after a while!

Any more ideas... all are welcome and appreciated!

---Paul

Comment

Please post a screen shot of the Users utility.

Also, when you get "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in the Safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance" it is not because of a lack of admin privileges. It is probably because some services that it needs to install Quicktime are not running because you are in safe mode.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Is this what you are looking for?

THanks.... Paul
                        Attached Files

Comment

hmm... did you scan for virus or worms infection?
                          Just another MCP

Comment

Originally posted by fibox
                            hmm... did you scan for virus or worms infection?
                            Yes I have.... and Mcafee is always running as well. Nothing!

Comment

Try configuring a password for any one (or all) of the admin level accounts (besides the "Administrator" account). You should be able to do this in safe mode.

One thing I'm unclear on is when you're getting the error "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction"? Are you unable to log on with an admin account?
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X