NT Password situation help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT Password situation help needed

Hey all, I am new here so please bear with me, I am studying for the Comptia exams and don't have that much experience fixing pc's even though I have been using the pc for 8 years or so. A neighbor of mine who does construction found a pc while cleaning out a building and not knowing if it's working or not he just brought it to me to see if it's working or not. It boots fine to the login screen and here's the specs on it according to what I see in it's BIOS

Dell Optiplex GX200 BIOS Revision A02
    PIII 1ghz 256ram ecc rdram
    Service Tag BBMDGO1
    686 Processor ID
    Windows NT Workstation

It boots fine to windows but asks for the login info which of course no one knows, before reloading either win2k or XP on it, I would like to know if there is any way to bypass the login to get into the NT software, since I have never come across NT before I see this as a golden opportunity to see what it's like, any ideas please? Thanks.

Re: NT Password situation help needed

Did you try any of these suggestions?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, I am working with the "Alternate screen logon" and am trying to load win2k as I don't have a copy of NT, my first problem right now is at the Partitioning screen, however, the tutorial says

"It is best that you install the alternate instance of the OS into a different partition than the one on which you have the installation"

What I am seeing on this screen are 2 partitions, the one that is highlighted reads "Unknown" and the other partition reads "C: NTFS <AMS_2_51> 19861MB <17627 MB free> it looks like this on the screen

--- Unknown 31 MB
      C: NTFS <AMS_2_51> 19861 MB <17627 MB free>

with Unknown being highlighted. I chose the Unknown but it's too small, I need at least 768 MB for Win2K so I am stumped here, did a google search looking for tutorials on this but can't find anything, help?

Comment

Update, I am being told that I can get a Partitioning utility to re-partition the C drive, would this work? Just a yes or no answer to this would do please.

Comment

If you have Windows 2000, why don't you just delete ALL the existing partitions and install Win2K. You don't need NT 4 on the device. That way you won'need to recover any passwords either.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My neighbor told me that if the pc is good, he would like to load XP on it, it is only me who wishes to see what an NT operating system looks like and familiarize myself with it both for the exams and for if I should run into such an OS in the future I will know it's layout. Also, this experience will be good for me if I should come across any future clients who would have forgotten their passwords. Then too, I have already learned a lot on this topic from all of the reading I have done over the net and from asking questions on the various forums I belong to and I am figuring that by the time I am done with this I will learned lots more so why not attempt it?

Since I am being told that re-partitioning the C drive "could" cause damage to whatever's on there, I am working right now on adding a 2nd drive to load win2k on there, this should be ok?

Comment

Your chance of meeting windows NT either in an exam or the real world is very very slight, but if you put a second drive in you should have no problem installing Windows 2000 beside NT4

The "unknown" partition is almost certainly Dell's utilities and drivers. There should be an option when booting to press F12 or similar to get into it.

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OT but I had to say it: If you want both NT and W2K and XP and Win2003 (or either) make sure you install each on a different partition, AND install them with an order of older to newer.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

loaded win2k on the added 2nd HDD, pc rebooted itself but has this on the screen now

"Windows 2000 could not start becuase of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
                  Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

Entered setup to see what I can see there and this is what I am seeing:

Primary Drive 0....................Hard drive
                  Model WDC e.t.c
                  Drive Type....Auto
                  Capacity......20020MB

Primary Drive 1....................Hard drive
                  Model Maxtor 84320D5
                  Drive Type....Auto
                  Capacity......0 MB

Secondary Drive 0...............CD-ROM Reader
                  Secondary Drive 1...............Unkown device

The Boot Sequence shows:
                  1. Diskette drive
                  2. Hard Disk Drive C
                  3. Ide CD-ROM Device

The Primary Drive 1 shows the 2nd drive I added which is the Maxtor but strange it does not show it's capacity, when I was loading win2k and it came to the partitioning screen, it did show the exact 4GB's of the Maxtor drive. I have been searching the net for help with this for the past 2 hours or so and can't find a solution to this problem yet.

Comment

How did you set the Maxtor, Master, Slave or Cable Select?
                    What is the WD set to? (Master, Slave or Cable Select?)
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I set the Maxtor as Slave assuming that the WD is set at Master, will take a look to make sure the WD is set at Master in a few.

Comment

Yes, the WD was set to Master. I then decided to set both drives to cable select and now the 2nd drive's capacity shows in the drive configuration in the bios but still same problem.

I noticed that the drive with the NT is an IDE drive and I think the 2nd drive I wish to load Win2k on is an ATA drive, can this be why I am having this problem? Can an ATA and IDE drive both work on the same cable/controller?

Comment

Just called up Maxtor and they said this drive is an IDE drive

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...hp?p_faqid=666

So if that's the case then something else is wrong, the Tech suggested that something may be wrong with the Win2k software I am trying to load so I will reformat and try XP on it as I see no other option at this time?

Comment

I would set one to Master and the other to Slave or set them both to Master on different IDE Channels, one on Primary Master and the other on Secondary Master (don't forget to put the CD ROM to Slave). Your data cable may not be capable of Cable Select!
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That didn't work. Well, I think the ship has sailed, I tried booting now with only the orginal drive and still get the win2k error message, this suggests to me that even though I selected the 2nd drive for installation, looks like it installed on the NT drive?

Think I'll try to load XP for the neighbor and be done with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X