• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting access to administrator rights

Dear All,
    This is my problem:

PROBLEM
    I cannot log on to the administrator account on my computer. (The message: You are not allowed to log on interactively)

WHAT I HAVE TRIED
    1. Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (v050303) - blanked all passwords
    2. Windows Password recovery - verified that all passwords are blank
    3. reset all CMOS passwords - though I would give it a try

WHERE I THINK THE PROBLEM IS
    I think that the problem must be in the configuraiton of the user accounts and their local securities
    As I cannot log on as Administrator - see above - I cannot change these accounts. i.e. I can only log on as myself, which when opening the local securities I am asked for the administrator password. This password, should be blank, but when I leave it empty, I am told that the "User Options could not start the user information. Make sure that the User has Administrator rights" (Benutzeroptionen konnte mit den angegebenen Benutzerinformationen nicht gestartet werden. Stellen Sie sicher, dass der angegebene Benutzer über Administratorrechte auf dem Computer verfügt)

INFORMATION ON MY SYSTEM

1. 3 accounts (administrator, myself and mum)
    2. Windows 2000 Professional (German language)
    3. Norton Systemworks, firewall, anti-virus etc (English Language)
    4. Office (English Language)

MY QUESTION
    How can I change the user accounts while not being able to log on as the administrator OR how can I log on to the administrator account?

Cheers,
    Jasminetea

Re: getting access to administrator rights

Thread moved.

To enter the admin password while you logged on as another user, the administrator account must have a password.

Also see;
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Secu..._21042308.html
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

hi marcel,
      thanks for the quick reply. Tried to find a way of free way to subscribe to the link that you listed without avail.

However, followed your suggestion about giving the administrator a set password and this still does not work:
      (a) at start up (as mentioned in original message), as well as
      (b) trying to access the users through the control panel.

In short, I can only log on as myself with the limited access and cannot change that access. On a point of legality etc., the computer is my own and not part of any network. This problem first arose this morning when I tried to attach an external hard drive to the computer (something that I had done on many previous occassions) and it said that I do not have the administrator rights to do so.

Would appreciate any further help.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

hi Marcel

one final thing, I used Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (v050303) to give the administrator the password

Comment

Jasminetea, what an excellent post to start the thread. Well layed out with information about your problem and what you had done to try to resolve it, your system and finally your question.

Neat and precise. I liked it very much!!
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks. KISS (Keep It Short and Simple)

Comment

Error Message: The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Log on Interact

Hi All,
              I am still stuck with this one:

NEW THINGS THAT I HAVE TRIED
              1. Using Secondary Logon:

As described:
              a. To use secondary logon [e.g.] to start the Add/Remove Hardware tool:
              b. From the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
              c. Try to start the Add/Remove Hardware tool by double-clicking the icon. Because you are running in a normal user security context, you should receive an error message explaining that you do not have sufficient privileges to start this tool. Click OK to close this dialog box.
              d. Select the Add/Remove Hardware tool by using a single left-click on the icon.
              e. Hold down the Shift key and right-click the Add/Remove Hardware icon. Note the Run as option appears on the menu.
              f. Click Run as.
              g. Type the administrator name and password in the appropriate fields. Note that the domain name can also be changed. Click OK.

PROBLEM with this is that it does not accept the password (either when I had 'blanked' it or when I had created one using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (v050303)

2. Changing the Registry Manually

As described:
              a. Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT
              b. Go to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Con trol\Session Manager\Memory Management
              c. Look in the right pane for a value called ClearPageFileAtShutdown If it exists, double click it and set it to 1. If it doesn't exist, right click
              in a blank area of the right pane, select New, DWord value and name it ClearPageFileAtShutdown. Change the value to 1.
              (reference http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/...3-10/2285.html)

PROBLEM with this is that it I get an error message saying that there is a problem with writing the value (ClearPageFIleAtShutdown kann nicht bearbeitet werden: Fehler beim Schrieben des Inhalts des Wertes.)

A PROBLEMATIC SOLUTION PUT FORWARD BY MICROSOFT IS
              "To work around this behavior, you can access the computer that is denying a user access by means of an administrative account situated on another client. Then you can use the Ntrights.exe program from the Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit to remove the user from the "Deny Logon Locally" user right."
              (reference: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276590)

The problem is that this is the my computer is a private computer and not in a network

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
              Jasminetea

Comment

i'm thinking about the worse case.
                Reinstalling

Maybe someone else got a better clue.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

bugger

Perhaps, one needs to be a little stoical about these matters. Oh well, nevermind.

Cheers,
                  Jasminetea

p.s. what was the suggestion in the link that you (Marcel) sent to me. I still have not found a way to get free access. (Don't mean to be a scrooge - as a volunteer worker it is not really low pay but more no pay)

Comment

Working...
                  X