linux on win 98se

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux on win 98se

Hello gang, first time post here, and I got a question, I have an old laptop in the closet its old, (p3 350mhz win 98se) and no! its not my only pc I do have modern equipment, however I was thinking about playing with Linux and installing to see if I get some life out of it. So here is the question "which version of linux would possibly work ok". I have tried upgrading to win 2k but no go (video drivers). Just wondering, or is it time to Garage sale it?

Thanks Great site Petri!

DZZ
    A+
    Network+
    Server +
    MCP
    MCSA+ sec

Re: linux on win 98se

Linux will replace your existing OS if you want, so no need to upgrade

AFAIK most distros will work OK but performance might be a little slow. How much RAM / Disk do you have?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: linux on win 98se

If you just want to play with Linux, use a live cd. That's where Linux boots entirely from a CD, without touching the existing OS, on your good machine. Take out the CD, reboot, and you back to windows. However, if you ever want to save stuff under linux, then this not the way to go.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
      X