Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Monitor setup on Backbox Linux machine

Hi all,

I am trying to set up dual monitors on a backbox Linux machine. As far as I know, the video card installed should support this. I am a noob to the Linux environment and I have been trying to look around in the

I do not see the option listed
    I ran this switch 'lspci | grep VGA' to find out the type of card installed.

I got this output: AMD nee ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF.

I have gone into settings manager, display as well as desktop to see if there is any dual monitors showing there where I can extend my desktop.
    I have scoured Linux forums but not coming up with anything as of yet.
    Pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip

Re: Dual Monitor setup on Backbox Linux machine

alright, lets see the output of your lspci. do you see your cards?

you couldnt find anything on the net about it? did you look at:

How to set up multiple monitors in linux

and what are you using, i.e. linux flavor? that would really help... cause i could tell you to "sudo apt-get install arandr"... but i dont know if you can apt-get.

???
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      alright, lets see the output of your lspci. do you see your cards?

you couldnt find anything on the net about it? did you look at:

How to set up multiple monitors in linux

and what are you using, i.e. linux flavor? that would really help... cause i could tell you to "sudo apt-get install arandr"... but i dont know if you can apt-get.

???
      I looked at those articles but I wasn't able to make sense of them.

The flavor I'm running is ubuntu, I ran this command: lsb_release -a
      I got: Ubuntu 12.04.2

when I ran lspci, I got:

AMD nee ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF

Does that help?

Comment

so if your running ubuntu, what does the "sudo apt-get install arandr" do onyour box??

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
          so if your running ubuntu, what does the "sudo apt-get install arandr" do onyour box??
          It asked me for a password and I followed the steps of pressing shift to load into the grub boot menu for a password reset.

When I hold the shift button down, I get a 'keyboard failure' and that stays there until I let go of the shift and then it boots back into the linux environment.

I inherited this box so I don't know what the previous admin set the pwd to.

Comment

you might want to go on the assumption that the default password is what they used, so try "ubuntu" and try "{BLANK}" as well, they might not have set one.

the easiest option is to back up the data you wanna keep and do a fresh install with the most recent version.

until then, your never going to be able to make anything work "right" without the root password.

thats how you should have started this thread: Attention, I am trying to fix a linux box WITHOUT THE ROOT PASSWORD...

that way everyone could have not wasted their time trying to get you to implement procedures that would never work without elevation.

SMH...

Comment

Sorry James, as I said, I'm brand new to Linux. When it boots up, I am not prompted for a password. That lead me to believe that a password wasn't set up. I didn't realise that I needed elevation to configure dual monitors setup, I guess that's me thinking from a Windows perspective...

Comment

its all good. once i saw that line about not knowing the root, i was like WTF?!

yeah, without root, the issue is moot.

heehe.

im a computer poet, and ill bet you didnt know it.

best of luck. i think you will find it works correctly without any fiddling after a fresh install. you can even try the live CD first and see if it flies like that. if not, find another distro like mint or ubuntu 13+, which are the best bet for a linux n00b that wants to learn but wants all the pretty functionality of a windows box without the hands on practice rebuilding your kernel...

Comment

ubuntu don't usually give you the root password

they expect you to use "sudo"
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X