Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ubuntu in a windows server environment

Hi people.
    I currently look after the computers in the office of a local charities. All the computers they have are from donations and government grants so with current cutbacks resources are very limited indeed.
    They have a server running windows server 2008 R2 that was bought with a grant and have about 20 low spec client machines that came via donations.
    Unfortunately 10 of the client machines are running Windows XP. Now that support has ended are we forced to replace the machines (I think Windows 7 will kill most of them!) or can I replace the operating systems of those machines with something like Ubuntu and still stay in the Windows Server network.
    Or is there some some other solution you can suggest?
    Thanks everyone
    Kevin

Re: ubuntu in a windows server environment

You can definitely use Linux on the old workstations, though Ubuntu might be overkill. You will probably be best off using a lightweight distribution like Arch, and if you have to go with Ubuntu (I can't personally see why, but...) use Xubuntu instead
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
      You can definitely use Linux on the old workstations, though Ubuntu might be overkill. You will probably be best off using a lightweight distribution like Arch, and if you have to go with Ubuntu (I can't personally see why, but...) use Xubuntu instead
      Thanks for the reply. I don't have to go with Ubuntu, I have no knowledge of any of these operating systems so am a complete novice where these are concerned.
      So are you saying that I can install Arch and still be compatible with user profiles etc from the Windows server environment? The staff move from station to station and currently have roaming profiles etc. Would this be a problem?

Comment

I think you should probably assume that no user profiles or, for that matter applications, will move from a windows environment to a totally different operating system
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

what I'm saying is that for a low end, old hardware, it is better to use lightweight distributions than bloated ubuntu.

Linux isn't windows, folder redirections, roaming profiles etc, is a purely windows technology, for Linux, there are other ways of implementing these, mainly using home folders automounted off of an NFS server

Comment

I think the bigger question here is:

What are you trying to acheive by putting linux (any distro) on these computers?>
            Apart from cost savings and improved performance.

What do you want the workstations to do?
            absolutely, roaming profiles or redirected profiles won't work - purely because they are designed for Windows so their profiles can't work in any way on a linux workstation.

I understand it is possible to at least have centralised, unified logons, but I havne't looked at it in years.
            you can't use group policy to push things, but you can map drives...
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

you can have roaming profiles if you use NIS or IPA and have a central profile repo set up

you can push things out with satellite/puppet/chef/ansible/saltstack/etc...

you can automount folders, share files and printers, you can do pretty much everything and more, but you have to first understand linux, then learn how to administer it. jus like you first learned windows and then learned the windows server technologies.

Comment

Working...
              X