Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning linux

Hi Guys,

I am a pure windows user. However, I wish to learn more about linux. May I know what is the difference between linux and ubunto? Are they the same?

Where can I download linux and install linux os? I heard that it can be installed on an external drive. Therefore, I would prefer to do that instead of installing on my harddisk that is running windows.

Thanks.

Re: Learning linux

Linux is the OS kernel, while Ubuntu is a Linux distribution.

A distribution consists of the Linux kernel and a selection of software. Most distributions contain the same core software (like GNU Coreutils, a set of commonly used commands), while they may differ significantly when it comes to both server and user applications. It's a bit like with Windows 8 and the various editions of Windows Server 2012; same Windows kernel, different set of applications.

If you want to leave your Windows installation undisturbed you could install Linux to an external drive, but a VM might be worth considering. You could still keep the virtual hard drive on an external disk, of course.

Comment

i'm going to argue with you, becuase I can :P

"linux" is the kernel and a set of core utilities that provide a workable operating system

What you could try if you wanted to would be a Ubuntu 'Live CD' - this is a full linux installation that runs of a cd, and doesn't require any changes to your computer. when you restart, take the cd out, and it'll be back to windows..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        i'm going to argue with you, becuase I can :P

"linux" is the kernel and a set of core utilities that provide a workable operating system
        No, Linux is just the kernel and nothing else. That's why Richard Stallman, president of the Free Software Foundation keeps insisting on calling it GNU/Linux, since almost all the commands and utilities are part of their "GNU" collection of software (and the rest aren't part of "Linux" either).

But to get back on topic...

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        What you could try if you wanted to would be a Ubuntu 'Live CD' - this is a full linux installation that runs of a cd, and doesn't require any changes to your computer. when you restart, take the cd out, and it'll be back to windows..
        That's an excellent idea, especially if the OP wants to take a look at Linux as a desktop platform and generally have a look around.

However, if he wants to play with Linux as a server, I believe a VM would be a better choice, if nothing else then because a Live CD or DVD generally has very few options to alter settings permanently. Some may be able to store user profile settings on a USB stick, but usually any changes or customizations are lost when you turn the system off or reboot.

Comment

Well, I would disagree with using ubuntu to learn. Ubuntu is geared towards a desktop, houswife-oriented distribution, where you will hardly ever need to go into the actual OS to do things. Creating yet another boring windows desktop user is not a worthy goal, IMO

To learn the internals, one should try to follow the gentoo installation manual a few times - a few days of pure hardcore learning are guaranteed, and you'd emerge with a very deep understanding of how the components fit together, even if you're not going to be actually using gentoo afterwards. Slackware is also a good choice

As for using linux in an enterprise, ubuntu again falls short, no matter what their marketing says, so in order to learn, one should be looking at RHEL (or the derivatives), and the RHCE curriculum
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

The one great use I have for a Linux is its ability to access ANY Windows irrespective whether it works or crashes or not. That is such as to rescue valuable files, repair a faulty drive, or identify Passwords etc.

But here is something that baffles me about Linux. The designer of a certain very popular BASIC has been trying for over a year to create a similar Linux version. I believe he claims when finished it will work with ANY version of Linux.

Having tinkered with a variety of Liniuxs I find that hard to believe, such as the great care needed when installing new software to be sure it has been adapted especially for that version of that Linux.

Comment

You _can_ write software that will work with ANY version of Linux, the problem here would be having to package all of the dependencies and prerequisites, the same way windows software does. This is not the way Linux software should work, the philosophy is to use as much of the readily available code as possible, which, of course, leads to compatibility problems. If you want deeper understanding of what I'm talking about google up static vs dynamic compilation

Comment

Thanks. It is no secret who I refer to it is http://www.libertybasic.com/

Look at What is New for July 2012
                Last edited by GordonSweet; 13th October 2013, 07:17.

Comment

basic is dead. windows has powershell, which is fine for sysadmin tasks, and Linux has plenty of languages available, python being my personal fave

Comment

Thanks.

Though I am merely an Amateur Basic Programmer so use BASICS, many distributors are happy to host my efforts as Freeware as you can see at http://www.sigord.co.uk/

So please which BASIC for Linux do you suggest I try, and perhaps Free? What is the link to download it for MINT or PUPPY.

Thanks

Comment

I suggest a quick reference to as there are large numbers of flavours, mainly free.
                      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ba...FOuQ0QX484CICg

The best thing would be to compare features and functionality with the one you are used to and choose based on that.
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

you could try something like kbasic. plenty of material here: http://pkgs.org/search/?keyword=basic

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                          you could try something like kbasic. plenty of material here: pkgs.org
                          Great materials that can be really helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your advice.

I am using Freebasic converting much of my old Qbasic for Debian Linux as you can see at

http://www.sigord.co.uk//SubmitsLinux/LinuxSoftware.htm

But with my limited knowledge I have not so far attempted to install FB in the Mint I am using.

Instead I use the clever online compiler to Linux at

http://fbc.deltalabs.de/

Comments always welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X