Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to access dual home (network) headless Linux server ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to access dual home (network) headless Linux server ?

Hi All,

I want to learn / study Linux by using my spare HP Desktop dc7700 PC without monitor (headless) so I wonder if the following scenario is working with Ubuntu / KUbuntu Linux:

(see the attached)

my question is that is it possible to access the Linux using the wired network supposed the wireless adapter/network is not connected to the current main wireless but through the ethernet using direct cable connection ?

The ultimate goal is to be able to connect to the Linux server using VNC from the Windows Server and then scan the wireless LAN for weak password with aircrack or any other tools from (http://sectools.org/wireless.html) because I know that windows cannot be used for such thing anymore.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: How to access dual home (network) headless Linux server ?

Yes, it's possible to VNC to a Linux machine. You'll need to connect a screen etc to the Linux PC in order to install Linux and to assign it a static IP address so that you can connect to it from Windows.

As for scanning for vulnerable wireless networks, please review local laws before commencing and ensure that your activities are allowed. Do not attempt to break into any networks without permission.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Yes, it's possible to VNC to a Linux machine. You'll need to connect a screen etc to the Linux PC in order to install Linux and to assign it a static IP address so that you can connect to it from Windows.

As for scanning for vulnerable wireless networks, please review local laws before commencing and ensure that your activities are allowed. Do not attempt to break into any networks without permission.
      yes, that is what I have in mind for sure.

i wonder if the direct PC-to PC cable with static IP can be use to access the server ?

Comment

Again, yes you can do that. You will need to assign a static IP in the same subnet to the wired adapter on each PC and connect the two using a crossover cable.

Once that's done, it'll be the same as accessing any other machine over the network.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post

I think he's talkin about scanning his own network, as it's a desktop machine I think.

and it brings up a whole other concept.. shouldn't I be able to capture whatever traffic I like that's passing through my air space?
          If I then decrypt the traffic, on my computer, while it's not connected to, or listening, to that airspace, I'm not really breaking into another network am i.
          I'm just decrypting data on my own computer... :P

maybe that's an idea for a new sub-forum.. legalities and policies etc..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X