Has anyone used Nagios

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used Nagios

I have been working on this problem for the past few days and still cant get the email notifications to work. I have installed and setup according to the quickstart guide on the nagios website. I first tried ubuntu then Centos because I thought maybe it was a bug in ubuntu but I have the same problem in both. I have tried configuring postfix and failed, I then tried sendmail and again failed. My question is does anyone know of a complete step by step guide how to setup nagios and also the email part, the OS really doesnt matter because at this point I will go with what works. From what I have found it should work but its not. Any help would be great.

Re: Has anyone used Nagios

what happens - where do the emails fail to send ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

try to capture the packets and analyse them - smtp is very easy to dissect
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

They were being refused by the ISP. I believe I have it figured out. The documentation isnt the best they leave out the entire part about setting up sendmail.

Comment

Thats because Sendmail is not a NAGIOS product. The assumption is you have a mail relay that works. Would have been easier to use a smarthost rather than setting up a dedicated MTA just to relay notifications. That said you are right. NAGIOS documentation isnt the best. I tend to find Zabbix and Zenoss better products.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Nagios and once its configured, its a great alerting tool. I had to doa workaround with one of mine tho while using plesk as the domain sending the mail was looking locally. I had to set up a gmail account, forward it to that and then forward back to the domain I was sending from. A bit messy, but for the amount of alerts I get, it works ok.

Comment

Nagios is an awesome product. I've administered it in many different places. I find the easiest thing to do is use gmail servers for sending (must have a gmail or google apps mail account).

If you're having too much troulbe with Nagios, look at Zenos. It's a bit easier on the admin side.

Comment

Originally posted by falbanese View Post
                Nagios is an awesome product. I've administered it in many different places. I find the easiest thing to do is use gmail servers for sending (must have a gmail or google apps mail account).

If you're having too much troulbe with Nagios, look at Zenos. It's a bit easier on the admin side.
                I'm also between those two. I really appreciate if you have more info on this! Thanks.

Comment

Which one to use really depends on you. Like I said Zenoss is way easier to administer. I also feel it can do more in the way of performance monitoring. Nagios is mostly for monitioring availability, you can write custom plugins to monitor performance but it's not always easy, plus you have to install agents on the sytems you want to monitor (this is a huge con IMHO).

As you can probably tell by now I'm more a lover of Zenoss than Nagios. I can setup a Zenoss server and immediately start monitoring hosts/services/performance on any Windows or Unix/Linux system without installing an agent (providing I know Administrator/root passwords).

Comment

Working...
                  X