Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning linux

Hi Guys,

I am a pure windows user. However, I wish to learn more about linux. May I know what is the difference between linux and ubunto? Are they the same?

Where can I download linux and install linux os? I heard that it can be installed on an external drive. Therefore, I would prefer to do that instead of installing on my harddisk that is running windows.

Thanks.

Re: Learning linux

There are many versions "flavours" of linux including ubuntu
    will show you where you can download them
    Installing onto an external drive depends on your PC being able to boot from it -- a virtual machine is your alternative
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You may want to check this out:

http://wubi-installer.org/

Installs unbuntu IN windows like any other app...

Comment

Since the original Linux was made available as an Open source (GNU GPL) It paved the way for different programmers to develop and distribute their own version based on the original code base. They are known as Linux Distros (Ubuntu being one of them)
        The other one that runs entirely from a CD is called Knoppix.
        Other distros are based on these distros and so on. It's like Matryoshka dolls of Linux if that makes any sense.

Ahh yeah: Google for more...
        Last edited by L4ndy; 11th August 2010, 16:37.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by kelvinwgr View Post
          Hi Guys,

I am a pure windows user. However, I wish to learn more about linux. May I know what is the difference between linux and ubunto? Are they the same?

Where can I download linux and install linux os? I heard that it can be installed on an external drive. Therefore, I would prefer to do that instead of installing on my harddisk that is running windows.

Thanks.
          Ubuntu is Linux. Its built on the Debian kernel.

http://distrowatch.com/

The link above will give you various links to a plethora of different Linux distributions all of which are open source. Additionally Ubuntu has a small windows utility on there liveCD that allows you to install Ubuntu to a flash pen. There are though universal USB Installers that support a variety of distro's.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

Comment

Another option is to use the live cd feature and just boot one of the live disks. It will not do anything with your underlying OS. It is a bit slower but you can definitely learn easily enough. You can also try different flavours as explained by the other posters before settling on one.

Definitely worth the effort to learn it.

Comment

what exactly do you want to do with Linux?
              is there anyone who knows any kind of linux you can turn to for advice locally?
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

A version of Linux I do like is 'CentOS', it's Redhat based and my ISP uses it so it got me to take a look, it's fun to play around with.
                Last edited by Managor; 13th October 2010, 12:59.
                "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Working...
                X