Redirect all addresses to a local wireless book library web server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirect all addresses to a local wireless book library web server

I am planning to broadcast a calibre (books server) library for the local neighborhood and need something to push the webpage for the local server whenever one opens the browser.
    The configuration of my system is : FreeBSD 10.1 with calibre installed re0 (network card) is connected to a TP link outdoor access point. dhcp is installed and tested
    I need a way when a client connects to my free library wireless , he gets an ip (that is done) then when he opens a his browser be directed to my book web server which resides in the same box. i.e. when one opens the browser the address 10.0.0.1 (the address of the calibre web server) is pushed into his browser.
    In other words, is there a way to redirect ALL addresses to 10.0.0.1 via dhcp server or DNS?
    Thanks

Some routers allow redirecting xxx traffic to a particular device. While it may not apply to your particular router this may be helpful:
    http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creati...wardports.html
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      Some routers allow redirecting xxx traffic to a particular device. While it may not apply to your particular router this may be helpful:
      http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creati...wardports.html
      What the OP wants is when one of his neighbours (or wardriver) connects to his wireless network, he want the first page displayed on their browser to be the Library page of his Book Server. Will be kind of like when you connect to pay wireless in a hotel and the splash page is asking for your credit card details to buy you some time online.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

What the OP wants is when one of his neighbours (or wardriver) connects to his wireless network, he want the first page displayed on their browser to be the Library page of his Book Server. Will be kind of like when you connect to pay wireless in a hotel and the splash page is asking for your credit card details to buy you some time online.
        Haha - I must misunderstand this as I thought that was what the article was suggesting - but, as ever, I've not had to do this or seen it done so will keep tabs on this thread and learn.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Have a read of the information at this LINK. It may be possible to get it to do what you want but you may have to modify a page or two, especially the one that has the I Agree button (this is just from my quick read through).

You will also need to read about DD-WRT if you aren't already familiar with it and flash your appropriate hardware, assuming it is compatible with the DD-WRT Firmware.

Also be aware that in many countries that any content downloaded through your wireless connection shall be seen by the authorities as downloaded by you unless you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that it was not you and will most likely be required to show who in fact did download that material. This would not be easy as the type of persons who would want images of what I am referring to usually have some skill or are provided with instructions on how to hide their identity.

BE CAREFUL.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

1. What you're looking for is called a "captive portal". Google it.

2. I'm not sure what you're planning is completely legal. You're essentially "reproducing" someone else's written work, which is probably a violation of copyright law and probably several other laws.

Comment

Captive Portal. Thanks JoeQ. I couldn't find the right name for it. The eBook legality is covered in the Calibre page, at least that's what I understood when I read it.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X