No announcement yet.

Ubuntu server installation how-to

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu server installation how-to

Hi again all,

Thanks for the kind words. It is so nice to get some moral support when you've made a rather nasty cock up!

Just as a final follow up, I now have three Ubuntu servers performing a variety of functions in 2 different domains (reverse proxy for various IIS sites including an OWA server, and a home directory file server; next challenge is to create a domain controller using Samba so I can free up an app server that's doubling as a domain controller). All are properly integrated into the domains, have computer accounts, users can logon with their domain credentials etc, and it's all working out as I'd originally hoped.

I followed the instructions here up until step 6 (i.e. I didn't manually join the domain), and then completed the integration using the GUI SADMS tool, having performed a minimal X windows install, as documented here.

The steps were:

1) Do a basic install of Ubuntu 7.10 Server (Gutsy Gibbon), choosing OpenSSH as the only preconfigured software option (no Samba/LAMP etc).

2) Do a barebones X install on the Ubuntu box as in link 3, as well as tightvncserver.

3) Make the edits in link 1 above (having installed krb5-user, samba and winbind using Ubuntu's aptitude package manager).

4) Start a tightvncserver session.

5) Run SADMS as root, and use that to join the domain and set up authentication.

I'm sure you can do all of this without installing the X environment, but us Windows people do love a GUI now and again, and it really is a lightweight install.

Hope that covers it. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help - as I say I've done this to three servers now and feel confident that the process is robust and repeatable. Linux can be a challenge, but for a small business that can't afford a Windows Server licence for every machine - particularly not just for a dumb fileserver on old hardware - it can be very rewarding.

PS. Ossian - I notice you're in Scotland. I'm in Edinburgh, myself. Small world!

Re: All domain admin accounts locked out

Hi Tom(purplebadger)
    I have asked for your last post to be split and moved into its own thread in the Misc forum, as it is more likely to get responses and interest there.

I lived in Edinburgh for a few years, taking my PhD at the Uni, but now live north of Aberdeen.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Ubuntu server installation how-to

Split from the original:

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Re: Ubuntu server installation how-to

Originally posted by purplebadger View Post
        PS. Ossian - I notice you're in Scotland. I'm in Edinburgh, myself. Small world!
        It really is a small world.

I lived 30 mins from Edinburgh until 6 months ago.