Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore W2K3 to different harware

Hello

For my first post there is a question that will make me crazy!!!

I have to do a complete disaster Recovery procedure for a HP ML350, with full backup + system state done by arcserve 11.5.
    The disaster recovery option has not been taken so I have to restore to another machine manually.

The procedure I tested works well when I don't change hardware :

Install Windows
    install arcserve
    restore c + system state

But when I tested with another hardware, I had a blue screen and no time to see the error message.
    I tried the safe mode but it didn't worked
    I tried to repair windows but it didn't worked

I thought about using ASR, but it is not the same hardware and I don't use ntbackup

Is there someone to help me on that ?

Of course I must use the customer's backup tape os I am obliged to use arcserve.

Thanks a lot

Re: Restore W2K3 to different harware

Which Repair option did you use, the first or the second? Use the second Repair option. Boot from the CD and go through the normal install proceedure. Eventually it will say that it has found another version of the O/S and asks if you want to Repair or do a fresh/clean (something) install. Choose Repair. You will need to run Updates etc once you have finished.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I used the second, but it was unsuccessful

After that it wasn't possible to see another time the secpond repair option. It was as if the installation process couldn't see that a windows installation was there. On normal boot, i had an error message saying that system files were missing.

So if i understand your post, my procedure was in the right way. Have you already used it like that to retsore to other hardware machine?

Comment

Does either setup use RAID?

Yes, I have used this methoded many times however never on a machine that had RAID or needed additional drivers during the CD boot phase. You know, press the F6 key for additional drivers.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

The raid card on the destination server has been automatically recognized by the windows installation.

I think I should not retsore all file because it restores files and parameters from the source server that are different to the new one.
          But how filtering the retsore??????

Can you explian me excatly whate are the steps you usually use to retsore to different hardware please ?

Thanks

Comment

As I said, never done this with a RAID setup before. However, without doing a lot of research I would be inclined to build the server then restore the required ites from the backup tape.

Maybe someone who has done what you are trying to do can help.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X