KPIs for an IT Manager?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KPIs for an IT Manager?

My boss has asked me to setup KPIs for myself. I have never done these before so I was wondering what KPIs would an IT Manager have? Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: KPIs for an IT Manager?

Grrrrr, with 106 posts I am going to assume your clicked into the Lounge and posted this by mistake, so I moved it to the Misc Forum for you.

Are you sure he asked for KPI and not PKI? PKI makes a lot more sense. If PKI this will get moved again to Security.

[Edit] Oh this is bad. I read JDs post and wonder why the manager wanted a KPI for himself (the manager). Did not see the myself. Really need to get eyes tested. Too many makes your eyes go funny. (Notice those guys are wearing glasses!!)
    Last edited by biggles77; 22nd August 2006, 13:24.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

KPI = Key Performance Indicator
      Unfortunately too well known in management circles...

I would look through your job description and have a realistic target for each area. Remember to put in some personal stuff like training.

I'll think more...

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. Biggles77, don't get mad at me I did mean KPI as Ossian stated. My boss wants me to create a job description and KPI for myself. I've done the job description, but KPI's are harder in the IT circles.

I put down two things so far, 1) Send out a user survey every 3 months to guage the responsiveness and effort of the IT dept (My assistant & I) and 2) training for both of us so that we can benefit the company with more efficient response to disasters.

I'd know there are others out there who would have done KPIs for an IT department, so I hope you could give me some examples.

Thanks.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

A word of advice -- be as vague as you can get away with
          Survey every 3 months is explicit
          Survey on a regular basis gives you some flexibility! Otherwise you are up to your neck in a crisis and the bean-counters come on "now what about that survey"

Some possibilities:
          QOS statements for Servers, Desktops, User Questions
          Vague statements like "Work within defined budgets"

Ask to see a copy of another management KPI set for possibilities

Good Luck!
          Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

JDMils,
            Are you the IT manager or are you a System administrator? it is very different.
            As a manager I would put lot of weight on budget issues.... its easy to messure and important to the business. i would also put something about improving of efficiency in the team and in the organization tools (i.e. ERP).
            As a system administrator I would put something about SLA, time to fix problems, reducing downtime etc.

Good luck

H

Comment

try emailing my colleague petvin.fernandes at [email protected]on.com. hes an IT manager , and might be able to assist.

Comment

Working...
              X