Technet Plus or MS Action Pack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technet Plus or MS Action Pack?

I'm sick of using eval versions of software and currently loooking into either the MS Action Pack or Technet Plus.

Technet plus is a little more expensive but which ones do you guys have?
    Technet Plus
    0%
    Action Pack
    0%
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Technet Plus or MS Action Pack?

If you don't want evaluation copies then you will need to get MS Action Pack. TechNet has the eval copies as well as Resource Kits, Beta stuff, and of course the TechNet. Haven't seen one for a while as most stuff you can get online now.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Technet Plus is NOT for operational use, only for evaluation. The software is full product and you get enterprise versions.

Action Pack is basically a 10 station network, with SBS and standalone BO products. You also get some extras like CRM, TS and MapPoint that are not part of Technet.

I subscribe to both to stay legal, so have not voted in the poll

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

But with Technet plus they are evaluation versions but non expiring. The only problem I can currently see with the MS Action pack is you only get one license for Windows 2003 server. If you training then chances are your going to need two DC's and for exchange you would need two copies of exchange as well.

I can see the benefit of both but I can't afford both.

Michael

P.s. Whats the difference betwee 'Direct' and 'Single User' licensing. I cant tell from the description:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../ms788692.aspx
        Last edited by m80arm; 21st August 2006, 07:39.
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The TechNet eval version are the standard download ones you get from Microsoft. 120 Day, 180 Day or whatever applies to the app. They do indeed expire.

Have you read what is in the Action Pack? Have you read the EULA that comes with Windows 2003 Server R2? 4 in a Virtual!!

Single User gives you access to the Benefit Portal. Direct does not.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
            The TechNet eval version are the standard download ones you get from Microsoft. 120 Day, 180 Day or whatever applies to the app. They do indeed expire.
            "Beginning in January, full-version software that doesn't time out after 90 to 180 days will replace time-bombed software, providing IT pros with much more flexibility"

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...16technet.mspx
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Mmm, they have changed since my last TechNet. I tried to see what was availabe now in the TechNet but they only listed CD numbers (Part Numbers).

Since Tom gets them both, he is in the best position to tell which is the best of the best options. Me, I will stay with the Action Pack.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think it is very much how you use it. Technet Plus (not regular Technet) gives full versions of enterprise and standard versions of all the backoffice software, Office and related applications. You can install multiple copies but activation is required. The full versions are new, up to last year it was the usual time limited versions of the software.

The license clearly states that Technet cannot be used for anything except evaluation, so you are not allowed to use it in an operational environment (a test lab would be allowed). It also does not include explicit client access licenses.

The Action Pack is designed for Microsoft Registered Partners (not Gold / Silver) as a way of giving them the software to run a small network. It includes single server licenses for all the Back Office Standard (not enterprise) products, 10 CALs for each, 10 licenses for XP, Office, Visual Basic & Visual Web Studio.
                It also includes 10 Terminal Server CALS and CRM3.0 and 10 CALS. Since you get SBS2003 as well as the separate applications, you could run two separate networks using the Action Pack. The software is not for resale!

There is also a "developer" version of the action pack, where you get MSDN and full versions of Visual Studio as well as some goodies like XP Tablet. AFAIK this requires a commitment that you are developing a software product that you will market within the next two years.

Both are renewable annually, so I assume your licenses expire if you do not keep up payments. Obviously there is nothing to stop you continuing to use the software except your scruples.

I feel both have a role and I will keep subscribing to both. My total spend is less than 40 per month and I feel that is a small price to pay for the amount of software I have access to legally.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X