X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice new Pc

Hi there,

I need some advice for building a new computer, so my question is:
    What would you build if budget is irrelevant (what's in my case)

Main goals:

VMware for testing and study.
    Photoshop as thats my real passion including digital photography.
    Maybe later Digital Video.

also i don't want to any upgrading for the next 3-5 years
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Re: advice new Pc

Well if you have a limitless budget and want to future proof then I would look at an Intel Core Duo (aka Conroe) cpu. Everything else then fits around that.

As much memory as you can buy. Graphics card you would be looking at a NVIDIA 7950 GTX - but then it doesn't really matter as you don't want to play games.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

No upgrade for 3 - 5 years. Hahahahahaha (Sorry, sounded funnier when I first thought of it)

I think Chris (the other Chris, not me) is wrong when he says video card doesn't matter. If to be used for testing, Vista say otherwise and likes a good video card (however the card Chris mentions would be ok. With a limitless budget, I would be looking at the fastest card available to try and future proof it). With limitless budget I would look at multiple monitors so you could have different senarios running in their own screen.

I would only consider ALL 64bit because if you want to test security etc on Exchange 2007, it only runs on 64bit hardware. Dual core dual Xeon CPUs with minimum 8GB DDR2, RAID with some nice fast SCSI drives. The RAID will depend on what you want most, speed or ease of restore (my opinion only). If RAID 1, drives need to be HUGE. If RAID 5 drives need only to be not so HUGE. WD have some nice quick 150GB SATA Raptors with 5 year warranties.

An extremely comfortable chair and good workstation with plenty of room. A very good sound card so you can have nice sounds to listen to while you are testing. Saves having to move the stereo into your workspace. Bar fridge near PC so you can replenish essential liquids lost during intensive testing.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        No upgrade for 3 - 5 years. Hahahahahaha (Sorry, sounded funnier when I first thought of it)
        I now it sounds funny, but i really really hate building computers. Just give me a machine, and i make it up and running, but i really hate replacing hardware

Ok, another thing:
        I was already thinking about 64 bit hardware but which one?
        I also want a silent machine. My experience with scsi is that they are quite noisy so i thought about sata.

Audio isn't very important.
        I already got a great monitor (eizo s1910) which is good enough. Sorry that i forgot to tell :P
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Conroe (or Core Duo) is a Dual Core CPU that is 64Bit - And it is newer technology than the Xeons - Hence no need to upgrade as soon. Plus there is the 64bit base covered.

And the graphics card I suggested is one of the latest cards available today - so you can't really say it is 'OK'! Come on Chris!!

If you are looking at a Server Testbed then you might as well look at a Server system from Dell or HP for example. You don't want to build it. The only problem is I have yet to hear a silent running server!
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Why look at a server system when it is going to be used for testing and from the little I have played with it, virtual setup seem to be the ideal way to go. It is very easy to rebuild a virtual server/PC/network without having the limitations of a dedicated server and it can be done really FAST!!

WD Raptors. Check out these puppies and they are quiet quiet as well.

[Chris - Acer G530 is a fairly quiet server (except when you come from a cold boot and the fans cut in but even that only lasts a few seconds).]

One thing I did forget was (limitless budget) to keep a mirror system somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere, say a certain part of Australia, for performance comparrisions with the Northern Hemisphere. I would be prepared to put myself to assist you with your testing.

Dual core dual Xeons would give you maximum flexibility over a single Duo Core CPU. (A dual Duo Core CPU system would be really nice)

I use ASUS hardware because most of their gear has a 3 year warranty. It is also pretty good too. Thermaltake case to maximise cooling though depending on the case you may get increased fan noise. I have been impressed with how quiet the cases with a 120mm fan is.

Trouble with your monitor is that it still only give you 1280 x 1024. I didn't read the specs on mine close enough (bloody glasses) and thought it did 1600 x 1400 (or somewhere round that res). I know of people running 24" LCDs at a very high res though I imagine the icons would be a bit small for my old eyes. Does your monitor have a DVI connection? Might allow for a better graphic display with future software releases over the next 5 years.

And the graphics card is important if you are looking at using Photoshop and other graphics intensive operations. The NVIDIA 7950 GTX is still ok but there is always something better being released. With you budget the 1GB DDR cards look very inviting. Overkill for the moment but in 5 years......look back at what was the bees knees 5 years ago and see how it compares with the software today. It would struggle running Vista. (Need to go and look up what was the bees knees 5 years ago )

I do not envy you task in deciding what you want. Not having your theoritical budget I usually get middle of the road hardware and upgrade/replace every 18 months to 2 years.

Someone other than us Chrises must have some ideas. Let's see them. Astound Marcel with your hardware knowledge.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah gimme you're hardware knowledge :P
              I really don't know a lot about it.

Building a new machine costs me about 1 to 2 hours. But upgrading costs me much more time. (sounds stupid, but i almost get really pissed of of all thoose anoying cables.)

I was thinking about the following cpu:
              Intel® E6700
              but the l1 cache is only 2x32KB with 2x1024 l2 cache.

also i was thinking about the AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+
              and the l1 cache is 2x 128 KB and the l2 cache of 2x 1024 KB

sounds to me a bit faster.

But then i got the following problem:

The systemboard where the amd fits in can using pc400 memory in addition to pc800 for the systemboard where intel fits in.

Still doubting.

Oh a server is not something for in the livingroom, or somewhere else in my house
              Edit: yes my monitor supports dvi.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

Comment

Just quickly Marcel the E6700 will blow away the AMD X2 4800+. Yes lets hear some other suggestions.

The single main problem is the "Future proofness" of the system - 5 years ago £2000 would buy you a P4 (remember they only came out 6 years ago!!!) or a newish Athlon XP!

5 years later they are just about beating entry level pcs of today!

My mate who is an over clocker (big style) says wait 2 months for the various quad core cpus that are on their way from Intel and AMD ("Tulsa," "Merom," "Kentsfield" and "Clovertown")!!!
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Quad Cores :drool:

Don't forget to get MATCHED memory. It will give you a bit of a performance boost over throwing a couple of 2 x 1GB modules at the motherboard. Also, does AMD chipset support the faster RAM or is is still stuck in 400 mode?
                  Last edited by biggles77; 2nd August 2006, 14:08.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

quad cores. About 1500 euros each or someting

Ok there is somekind of budget, but not a very low one I can spend arround the 2000-3000 euros i think. But now im sure i'll take the intel.
                    Systemboard: Abit AB9 Pro
                    about 2-4 GB DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) Memory from G.E.I.L (without the dots it's horny in holland )
                    150 GB raptor for booting and one or two times Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 GB
                    2x dvd writer
                    and problaby the graphics card Asus EN7950GX2/2PHT

The PCbuilder from a well known dutch site shows me up that ther's not systemboard where amd fits on who is supporting an higher speed then pc400.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

Comment

For DDR2 RAM compatibility from AMD you NEED an AM2 socket Athlon/Sempron.

Looks like a good system Marcel - go for the two 500GB drives and stripe them
                      Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Abit AB9 Pro review.

The rest looks ok except for my personal dislike for Maxtors (even though Seagate now own Maxtor). How about the Seagate 750GB drives.

Are you going to incorporate any Fault Tolerance into this system? Or maybe set it up and then burn the setup iage to a DVD.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I don't know much about hardware but I thought I'd throw this in since you're looking for quiet... my friend showed me this case about a year ago... don't know if your motherboad will fit but
                          http://www.zalmanusa.com/
                          Check out the TNN systems... no fans in them.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I will look at it. Thanks JeremyW

Originally posted by Tonyyeb
                            For DDR2 RAM compatibility from AMD you NEED an AM2 socket Athlon/Sempron.
                            True, now i see it :s

@biggles77, Fault Tolerance isn't very important for me. Empty DVD's aren't very epensive.

I've a personal dislike against seagate and exually also to WD. To noicy.

Ok as an alternative mainboard (maybe even better) the: Asus P5WDG2-WS
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands

Comment

Just read a review of the Asus P5WDG2-WS and it looks like a nice board. Good choice!
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X