No announcement yet.

A challenge -- make USB Drive Dynamic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A challenge -- make USB Drive Dynamic?

I used to have a link where someone made a RAID array of flash drives -- it looked really cool! Unfortunately it has long ago gone to the great browser in the sky...

I've just bought 4 x 250Gb USB drives (for £80 each!) and would like to try something similar, on 2003 Server. I know that officially USB drives cannot be dynamic, but if anyone knows a registry hack to override that, I would be very interested in trying it out.

All help gratefully appreciated, and I promise I will hold no-one responsible for data loss!

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: A challenge -- make USB Drive Dynamic?

here's the link to the guy that made a RAID array from 13 usb floppy drives

http://phoenix.cc.edu/MegaFloppy.htm

and the site where he got the idea

http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

Comment

RAID accross 5 floppies! Fantastic!
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Unfortunately both use the Mac rather than PCs

Thanks anway!

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you convert the drive to dynamic before you put it into the external enclosure it would probably work.

There are some hacks to make this work with firewire but none for usb (AFAIK).
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Unfortunately its preinstalled so awkward to remove / Convert.

Still, I might give it a try sometime

Can you post a link for the Firewire drives please?

Tom
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
              Unfortunately its preinstalled so awkward to remove / Convert.

Still, I might give it a try sometime

Can you post a link for the Firewire drives please?

Tom
              Here ya go...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/...pen/index.html
              Andrew

Comment

Why to spend money and time on nothing?!
                The good answer for your question is to buy a Storage like IBM DS300I or other storage/server and thats all.
                Dont try to find creative solutions - In the worest time usually they crash.

Regards,

Yuval
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14
                  Why to spend money and time on nothing?!
                  The good answer for your question is to buy a Storage like IBM DS300I or other storage/server and thats all.
                  Dont try to find creative solutions - In the worest time usually they crash.

Regards,

Yuval
                  I think you're missing the point...

IMO it is something he wants to experiment with not to use as an in place storage solution.
                  Andrew

Comment

Exactly -- curiosity more than anything else.

I bought a cheap set of USB external drives (Toshiba 250Gb @ GB£80 each). I set them up as mount points but was curious as to whether I could make a giant RAID array on the cheap.

Hence my comment in the first post about no blame for data loss -- I know it would be a risky solution and not recommended in the "real world". In my network (half test lab, half live network -- the perils of a small business) it is an acceptable option to try.

However, I have now given up....

Tom
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X