Domain Integration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Integration

I am looking into domain integration, and the pros and cons of doing so.

I work for a company whose parent company wants to know the pros and cons for us to integrate to one domain. We are uttely seperate at the moment, but wish to share data, GALS, calenders, etc

Could anyone tell me what the pros and cons could be.... what difficulties should be considered.

We both run w2k3/ exchange w2k3, both use the same firewalls.

Please advise or point me in the right direction, as i am a bit at a loss as to where to start.
    Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: Domain Integration

I used to work for a company where we were (sorta) part of their network. Basically they controlled our Email and Firewall services. Our company then started to seperate due to it being a nightmare getting the parent company to make firewall changes or even if there were problems with their email gateways.

In the short of it there are pro's and con's - Here is a small list i can think of to get you started

PROS:

1. If there is a problem with a service that the parent company control then you can pass the buck so to speak i.e. it's not your problem to get it sorted.

2. Larger companies may get better discounts. The parent company may be able to get software cheaper and include you in on the deal.

3. There is always additional help if required via the parent company or even just someone to bounce idea's off.

CONS:

1. Implementing changes can be a nightmare - Everything will have to be approved and implemented via the parent company.

2. If there is a problem with a service that the parent company is in charge of then you have no control over it. i.e. it may take some time for them to bring the service back online.

Hope this helps

I will include more when I can think of them but at the moment my belly is grumbling for a tuna sandwich

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thats perfect thank you, I hope the tuna sandwich was nice...

What are the technical implications for doing this, the child company will have to join a new domain, remote users will need to be reconfigured ? is it a nightmare ? what is required techinically
      Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Comment

luckily enough out company already had it's own domain. Our parent company just had control over the firewalls and SMTP servers but yes, you will need your own sepearte domain and will have to implement some remote connectivity soloution whether it be VPN, terminal services etc..

This is a pretty big task and will require a lot of work. Before you make the decision you must ensure you have enough staff with the required skill level capable of performing all the duties required such as mail, server, networking etc

Hope this helps

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Could you advise where i can get more information on this, so i can present it on thursday. I personally think integrating into one domain may cause more problems than it will solve, but i need to look into the details of this to confirm or deny it.

Any pointers ?
          Benjapos

Comment

Working...
          X