Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• expanding RAID 5 on the fly

hello everyone

i have a Compaq ProLiant ML530 (null) running windows 2000 sp4. there is a smart array 5300 controller (firmware version 3.54) with 2 ports.
    on one port i have a raid 5 array consisting of 5 x 72 GB disks which i would like to expand on the fly with 5 x 146 GB disks.

one 72 GB disk has already been replaced by a 146 GB disk and it took about 5 hours for the array to rebuild. right now i do not see any additional available disk space i could use to expand the array and logical drive.

some research on google seems to indicate that this additional space will only become available after all 5 x 72 GB disk have been replaced by 5 x 146 GB disks. has someone done this before and can confirm this?

i now need to decide if i continue to replace one disk a day and let the server's performance be impacted or if i create a new array with the 146 GB disks and restore the data from backup.

thx,
    chris

p.s. i didn't start this. i've only become involved after the fact
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Re: expanding RAID 5 on the fly

Originally posted by chris
    hello everyone

i have a Compaq ProLiant ML530 (null) running windows 2000 sp4. there is a smart array 5300 controller (firmware version 3.54) with 2 ports.
    on one port i have a raid 5 array consisting of 5 x 72 GB disks which i would like to expand on the fly with 5 x 146 GB disks.

one 72 GB disk has already been replaced by a 146 GB disk and it took about 5 hours for the array to rebuild. right now i do not see any additional available disk space i could use to expand the array and logical drive.

some research on google seems to indicate that this additional space will only become available after all 5 x 72 GB disk have been replaced by 5 x 146 GB disks. has someone done this before and can confirm this?
    What you are seeing is correct. Fundamental laws of RAID. The RAID5 volume is only going to use 50% of that 146GB drive. You couldn't grow the partition to use more of that drive because all of the other RAID members are still 72GB drives. All need to be replaced with 146GB drives.

i now need to decide if i continue to replace one disk a day and let the server's performance be impacted or if i create a new array with the 146 GB disks and restore the data from backup.
    Does the array contain the operating system? If not and it's only a data drive, you might have the option to expand the array using HP Array Configuration Utility, then use the Microsoft utility diskpart.exe to extend the partition

p.s. i didn't start this. i've only become involved after the fact
    That's the most fun way to be brought in, wouldn't you agree?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
      Does the array contain the operating system? If not and it's only a data drive, you might have the option to expand the array using HP Array Configuration Utility, then use the Microsoft utility diskpart.exe to extend the partition
      no, the OS is a mirror on a different array and different port
      the HP Array Configuration Utility doesn't offer me that option...
      i've checked that before and had been wondering if all drives need to be replaced before that option becomes available.

and, yes. it really is fun to be working this way

Comment

There is two options as I see:

1. a. Backup the data (Ghost, Acronis etc).
        b. Remove the Raid 5 Array.
        c. Create new Raid 5 Array with the 146 GB Disks.
        d. Restore data.

2. Consider to move to external storage.

* I guess that you dont have warranty on this server so
        it may be useful to replace it with a new one.

Regards,

Yuval
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

option 1 has already been implemented. fortunately someone actually did back up the data before starting this mess

as for option 2, you know how management is when it comes to spending money on IT stuff...

Comment

Working...
          X