Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Woes - Pentium M Vs Turion

Evening dudes,

I am away on support for a week next week and I have been thinking about buying a laptop for a while and since I need to go away I thought I would but one sooner than later.

What do people recommend:

Asus Pentium M 1.7
    1024 RAM
    80 gig HD
    2meg L2 Cache
    15.4 Ultrabright Display
    Wireless
    Blah
    Blah
    Blah

Brand New 599

HP Turion 1.8
    1024 RAM
    80 gig HD
    1meg L2 Cache
    15.4 Ultrabright Display
    Wireless
    Blah
    Blah
    Blah

Ex Display 660 (Probably been on display for 3 months)

I want the laptop to last through Vista

Any thoughts??

Or if anyone has any other good laptop buys for between 600 and 700 then please post the url

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Laptop Woes - Pentium M Vs Turion

I've had the HP Turion laptop as my work laptop since October '05. It's OK but nothing to really write home about. I've got it filled up with applications and it's slow as dog tar. I'm running the 32 bit version of Windows XP on it. Now if you were going to run Windows XP 64, or 64 bit version of Linux, that may be another story...
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I've heard it can be a bit of a nightmare finding 64 bit drivers for the OS. I have also read that Turion processors offer less battery than the P4 M's but not according to the shop literature - Suppose they could be telling porkies.

Any other comments?

Thanks

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If I'm not using the CD/DVD drive, and if I have the screen brightness on the lowest setting, I can get over 3 hours out of the battery. Turning screen brightness up kills the battery but I'm sure that goes for most laptops.

The Broadcom wireless software leaves some to be desired but it is usable. I have found though that it loses its wireless connection with the WAP after X number of packets or X number of bytes transferred. I normally run into this problem when I'm trying to transfer large amounts of data over the wireless, like a gig or more. May be solveable with a firmware or driver update. Too busy to work on that problem right now.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I have an ASUS model before yours, 1.6, 60GB HDD 512MB RAM and I have found it to be excellent. It has the nice Intel 2200 wireless and never had a problem with that either. Standard 2 year warranty as well.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X