Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OEM How to re install from hidden swctor on hard disk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM How to re install from hidden swctor on hard disk?

Two computers, one with xp and the other xp pro. The xp is in the form of an OEM installed somewhere hidden on the harddrive and not with the CD Rom. I had the computer divided into compartments and I installed the xp pro on it as the xp home was becoming a nightmare. I would like to completely clean the hard disk and reinstall this xp using the hidden OEM , basically in its "out of the factory"format. How do I do it? I have copied all the files that are important to me onto another hard disk (external). I have checked your forums and couldn't find anything re installing from hard disk. I have done it once but cannot remember how I did it. Thanks

Re: OEM How to re install from hidden swctor on hard disk?

WHat is the brand name of the PC with the hidden partition. Different manufacturers have different steps however there is usually a key to press during bootup that will allow you to access the restore/recovery process. It also might be worthwhile burning the recovery partition to a CD(s) because you will lose the lot if the HDD dies.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Its a legend 202A. If I understand correctly, I have to find this key. Usually when the computer is starting up there are two keys nominated, F2 AND F8 one's for Bios and the other to make changes to the system? What sort of message am I looking for when I press the key...and how do I make a copy of those files and where will I find them?
      Thanks

Comment

Well if i'm looking in the right place then it would seem your machine is a Packard Bell.

I'm not sure if this will work but its a link to a bootdisk that reloads the OS from the recovery partition.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...ppn=P670400101

Comment

I happened to look at the forum whilst on the site and I noticed that someone had similar problems. However, they couldn't retrieve their files because they had formatted part of their hard disk, at least that was the info given. I have formatted my "c" section where the old program was (xp) but I thought that the hidden files were protected in another section. Is there any chance of the files being saved? If not, can I remove the partitions? (if yes, how) and how can I clear the files COMPLETELY from the hard disk to then install my windows xp pro? Will I have compatibility prolems with drivers? I forgot to mention that the audio hasn't worked since the last formatting (basic reason for trying a complete clean up). Hope that's clear and thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by colsha
            I happened to look at the forum whilst on the site and I noticed that someone had similar problems. However, they couldn't retrieve their files because they had formatted part of their hard disk, at least that was the info given. I have formatted my "c" section where the old program was (xp) but I thought that the hidden files were protected in another section. Is there any chance of the files being saved? If not, can I remove the partitions? (if yes, how) and how can I clear the files COMPLETELY from the hard disk to then install my windows xp pro? Will I have compatibility prolems with drivers? I forgot to mention that the audio hasn't worked since the last formatting (basic reason for trying a complete clean up). Hope that's clear and thanks again
            Alot will depend on how you formatted the drive. Typically you won't be able to get to the hidden partition, thats not to say you haven't though.

Did you try that bootdisk i posted??

Comment

Working...
            X