X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to Restrict user to use only Internet Explorer

Hi Guys…

I have a really good Q?>

dose any one know how to Restrict user to use only Internet Explorer. I mean I don't want users in the domain to use other explore like (Netscape or fire fox). I need all users to use the internet explorer.

Re: how to Restrict user to use only Internet Explorer

What operating system?
    What sort of environment are you in? Office, (large/small), school, WAN etc
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dont give the users priviledges to install programs, thus they wont be able to install other internet browsers.

Create their user accounts as users not power users or administrators

Logging them onto the pc with a domain account (first time) usually only gives guest access to the pc thus only giving them user level acccess
      Last edited by J0K3R; 16th May 2006, 05:28.
      Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Originally posted by J0K3R
        Dont give the users priviledges to install programs, thus they wont be able to install other internet browsers.
        And don't mention "portable firefox"!

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

...or K-Meleon on the move.

But why would you force people to use Internet Exploder? In terms of cruelty that's on the same level as pulling wings off insects, making people watch Dr. Phil, or force-feeding someone a Big Mac.

Even the system administrator of Abu Ghraib wouldn't force his inmates to use Internet Exploder.
          make xp behave:

Comment

heh i didnt know you could get a web based browser ,, i take it thats what u mean by portable firefox i know about web based messenger programs like msn web messenger but they run in a browser, so wouldnt a web based firefox be working inside IE ?????? sorry maybe i should just google but hell its been a long day and my eyes are weeping.

ok so i googled it. um if the bloke wants to lock down the domain as such wouldnt usb drives be also unusable (like with languard),, <<< yes an assumption but i reckon id be right or why bother, with the IE lockdown.
            Last edited by J0K3R; 17th May 2006, 08:32.
            Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Originally posted by J0K3R
              heh i didnt know you could get a web based browser ,, i take it thats what u mean by portable firefox
              Lets consider the term "Web Browser" carefully at this point...

Portable Firefox is a version that does not require an install (just like the OLD Windows 3 apps which were self contained). It can run from a USB stick or the hard drive and even keeps its own list of bookmarks.

As a result, it would be very difficult to stop as it can be brought in on a CD or USB stick, or downloaded.

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to do this via GPO's???

Comment

Of course it would be easier.

Check local GPO (or domain GPO) settings under:

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Don't run specific windows applications.

You could enable this setting and enter name of executable file, ie firefox.exe for Mozilla Firefox and so on.

Comment

...and if someone uses Portable Firefox or K-Meleon on the move and renames the executable to dodge your GPO settings?
                    make xp behave:

Comment

Originally posted by 666
                      ...and if someone uses Portable Firefox or K-Meleon on the move and renames the executable to dodge your GPO settings?
                      You can use software restriction policies and create some hashes... then a user can rename the file to whatever they like, windows wont allow it to run!
                      Server 2000 MCP
                      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

There are lots of web browsers out there. You'll need to blacklist every version, build, localization and flavor.

And even that's not gonna stop someone from using Firefox/K-Meleon/Opera/whatever if he really wants to.

Edit executable with a program like Resource Hacker, change a single pixel in an icon or splash screen, and your blacklist strategy won't work anymore.

The only way to force people to use only the programs you allow is to make a whitelist of allowed executables and block everything else.
                        make xp behave:

Comment

Originally posted by 666

The only way to force people to use only the programs you allow is to make a whitelist of allowed executables and block everything else.
                          Ouch! Won't renaming firefox.exe to iexplore.exe get through GPO's allow list?!
                          Server 2000 MCP
                          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Why doesn't the OP write an IT policy that states that the only software allowed on the LAN is the software that the company provides, any other software that is found on PC's will be severely dealt with.

The first person then that goes agains this is then severely dealt with by management.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                              Why doesn't the OP write an IT policy that states that the only software allowed on the LAN is the software that the company provides, any other software that is found on PC's will be severely dealt with.

The first person then that goes agains this is then severely dealt with by management.
                              Damn!! I was just going to post the same thing. All the effort trying to lock down an app when an enforcable IT Policy fixes it. IT can then defer blame to management when users complain. PCs can be audited for unauthorised software.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X