GFI Languard - Deploying Custom SW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI Languard - Deploying Custom SW

I am evaluating the GFI LANguard N.S.S 7.0 this week. I am running into issues with the Deploying Custom Software in where I would like to do an unnattended install of an application using either a script or some parameters. I contacted GFI but they don't provide any scripts. Currently, when you push an application to the client you have to be in front of it to click for example "Next". Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Dmitry

Re: GFI Languard - Deploying Custom SW

Originally posted by dchyorny
    I am evaluating the GFI LANguard N.S.S 7.0 this week. I am running into issues with the Deploying Custom Software in where I would like to do an unnattended install of an application using either a script or some parameters. I contacted GFI but they don't provide any scripts. Currently, when you push an application to the client you have to be in front of it to click for example "Next". Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Dmitry

No need to double post.

The problem you face is that the app needs certain info inputted by the user, or it needs certain things to be done.

What app are you pushing out??

Does it have any switches that you can use to make it a silent install??

Comment

Certain applications will install using a simple /s switch.
      For example WinZip, I just attempted, would not work.
      What are general switches I could use?

Comment

Thank you,

Dmitry
        We do not tolerate double posting, and in your case triple, plus sending the same message to my personal mailbox.

If you do that again I will ban you. Be warned.
        Last edited by danielp; 29th March 2006, 23:07.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Certain applications will install using a simple /s switch.
          For example WinZip, I just attempted, would not work.
          What are general switches I could use?
          TBH i don't know. Google did though.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...silent+install

How do I avoid the installation Wizard and all those "Next" buttons?

When you run WINZIP32.EXE, using the above examples, you go through the entire installation process. You have to reply to each panel in the installation wizard. WinZip has a way to install silently. Silent installs can be managed by packages like Microsoft's System Management Server (SMS).

The /AUTOINSTALL variable is added to the end of the WINZIP32.EXE command line to perform silent installations of WinZip.

Instead of using:

"N:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"
          or "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"

Use:
          "N:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE" /autoinstall
          or "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE" /autoinstall

Be sure to use "WINZIP32.EXE". Not WINZIP100.EXE. Not SETUP.EXE.

Be sure there is a space between WINZIP32.EXE and /autoinstall.

Note that the /autoinstall switch, when used on its own, facilitates an automatic installation of WinZip with default installation settings, using the default Classic interface, as if the user had manually selected the "Express Install" option. The default installation settings include the creation of a program group, desktop and start menu shortcuts for all users, addition of the Quick Pick tray icon in the startup folder for all users, creation of WinZip file associations for all users, and configuration of WinZip's Check for Updates feature, among other things.

How do I customize the silent installation of WinZip?

Here are some switches you can use with /autoinstall:

prevent WinZip from including the WinZip Quick Pick icon in the taskbar tray
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /noqp /autoinstall
          prevent the "Check for Update" function from running
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /noc4u /autoinstall
          prevent the "Tip of the Day" from displaying
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /notip /autoinstall
          prevent the pre-configured WinZip jobs from being installed
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /nopredefinedjobs /autoinstall
          prevent the prompt dialog from appearing when running WinZip jobs **
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /nojobrunprompt /autoinstall
          prevent WinZip from including the WinZip icon on the desktop
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /nodesktop /autoinstall
          prevent WinZip from including the WinZip icon at the top of the Start menu
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /nostartmenu /autoinstall
          prevent WinZip from creating a WinZip program group and icons
          "n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /nomenugroup /autoinstall
          **Be sure to consider the security implications of allowing your users to automatically run WinZip Job files before installing with this parameter.

You may use any combination, or all, of these switches.

Please note that when using multiple switches, they must be in the order displayed below.
          /noqp
          /noc4u
          /notip
          /nopredefinedjobs
          /nojobrunprompt
          /nodesktop
          /nostartmenu
          /nomenugroup
          For example, if you want to customize your installation to have no WinZip Quick Pick icon, no WinZip desktop icon and no WinZip icon in the start menu, you would issue this command:

"n:\program files\winzip\winzip32.exe" /noqp /nodesktop /nostartmenu /autoinstall
          Note: you can tell if you made an error if the WinZip installation wizard begins. Cancel the installation and fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X