Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning a static drive letter for a USB key

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to assign a static drive letter for a USB key, so no matter what machine you plug it into it always has the same drive letter?

Re: Assigning a static drive letter for a USB key

If you don't mind may I know what's the intention behind this ?

Comment

I often have to install a standard set of aplications on different machines, so what I have done is put said applications on a USB key. Then I have then written a batch file that will install the applications, but in the file you need to add the drive letter that it needs to point to so that it will install them. I suppose if there is a command that I am not aware of that will default to the key instead of putting in a drive letter into the batch file that would work as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Comment

I have no Idea how to do the same through Batch file.
        But through vb script you can identify the drive letter assigned to usb drive.
        From this we can change the application path in the next part of program.

Comment

i dont think you can assign a static drive letter because assuming you could you would have to do it on the pc before hand. so their is no way to do that as far as i know. however in the batch file if you type cd /d %~dp0 it will change to the directory that that batch file is run from (saved in). so their would be no need to know what the drive letter is.
          MCSE 2000\2003, A+
          00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

You got me wrong.
            What I mean is ...
            After connecting a usb driver system automatically assign a drive letter.
            After this you should execute a vb script which will detect the drive letter assigned to USB drive.
            From this way you can set the path in the rest of the script.

I hope now it should be clear.......
            Revert for further clarification.

Comment

Working...
            X