Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd Vs Intel

Hi there everyone.

I need some assistance please. I am looking for a write up about AMD vs Intel.

We are going to be running SQL, ARC View, Gis and Analysis services on this pc.

Now I have some Idiot in the office telling me that an AMD will out perform a Intel, being that he is the most useless developer i have ever met with regards to my Hard Drive issue with his application caching the whole internet onto my PC and chowing every available resource i have.

So to ease my anger i turn to you guys for a possible fantastic reliable write up with regards to my issue at hand, cause developers cannot mind THEIR OWN BUSINESS!!!

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Amd Vs Intel

Ah the age old question.

Who is the better AMD or Intel??

From personal experience both work and work reliably. I have never gained any performance from any CPU from either company, unless i have upgraded of course. BTW i have never really pushed a CPU to its max.

Everyone will have there own personal experiences with this and you will undoubtedly get both sides of the coin from a cross section of the users here.

May be worthwhile trawling through this google link for more info.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+Intel&spell=1

Why don't you bounce the question back to the developer to PROVE that AMD can outperform Intel. Might shut him/her up for a while.

Comment

Thanks Wullieb1.

Yeah I am sure i will get very mixed opinions concerning this issue. But i think that Proving it will indeed be a difficult task. But thanks for the link and i think i will surely get this developer to shut up or put up! Done nothing here besides stuff things up so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bwebber
        Thanks Wullieb1.

Yeah I am sure i will get very mixed opinions concerning this issue. But i think that Proving it will indeed be a difficult task. But thanks for the link and i think i will surely get this developer to shut up or put up! Done nothing here besides stuff things up so far.

Arn't they the best ones.

If i were you i would go straight back to him and ask him to prove to you that AMD are better than Intel. This then removes some of the pressure from you.

BTW i'll be heading to Capetown in April. Looking forward to it.

Comment

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=3886
          crocus

Comment

I have two similar computers, One with an AMD AthlonXP 3000+(2.17GHZ) and one with a Intel Celeron 2.19 GHz. The one with the AMD outperforms the Intel every time. If it was a Pentuim instead of a Celeron I don't know if the AMD would still be faster. Hope that helps some.

Comment

Installed my first (and last) systems with AMD processors today. Was not impressed!! However even after that experience I have to add that it is horses for courses. AMDs are better at Intels in some fields and vice versa. What is the better anti-virus? What is the better car, Ferrari or Porche or (insert favourite sports car here)? In Australia it is Fords and Holdens?

You have to decide what is the better processor for your situation. Since you know what you will be running now and in the near future, only you can make that decision. Also check to make sure your chosen processor, if it is an AMD, has thermal protection. No, it is not a dig about AMDs and their (old) high running temp. I had a fan failure on my Intel P4. When the CPU temp got high enough, the thermal protection in the processor shut it down. If that had happened in an AMD, it would have reached 385C in about 2 seconds and cooked itself. I believe the newer AMDs now have similar protection, but make sure before your purchase. AMD fans reading this will be better able to enlighten you on this subject.

Toms Hardware has a comparrison between AMDs and Intels. Sorry, you will have to search the site. I will post the link if I get a chance over the next couple of days.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sounds like the best solution suggested earlier is to make the idiot developer/user prove it.

The AMD Vs Intel Speed/Power War really boils down to the following:
                1) specs of the 2 machines
                2) the OS installed on the 2 machines
                3) the programs being used and how they utilize the various aspects of the CPU.
                4) how you operate the various programs.

I've run both AMD and Intel both personally and in the workplace and it really depends what you run and how you run it and sometime even when you run it and what order you run the applications in.

Some apps will run better in certain scenarios on Intel and sometimes will run better on AMD in a slightly different scenario - very much machine spec, application and operation specific.

As soon as AMD gets 1 step ahead of Intel, Intel will bring out a new chip which will leapfrog AMD. Only to have AMD leapfrog Intel with some new features which makes them better. Its a never ending cycle which will only end when one of the companies goes bang or leaves the CPU business.

Best to get the nutty developer/user to prove his statements, especially since you're the one that is going to have to administer and support the system.

Comment

Working...
                X