Drive Image XML Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Image XML Problem

I have just tried to restore a C: Partition Image file which I had created using Drive Image XML some time ago.

This Partition is , of course the one which contains the OS ( XP Pro-SP2 ).

I received a message saying :- " Target Partition must not be system drive "

I have tried to contact D.I. XML but , so far , without a reply.

Can anyone help here .

Re: Drive Image XML Problem

I would imagine the problem to be you trying to resore an image over the top of an existing partition.

Does it work if you try a different partition??

Comment

Thanks for the reply Wullieb2.

Yes that's correct - I was trying to restore the Image of the C: drive to the existing C: drive thereby hoping to replace everything on that drive with what existed at the time the Image File was taken.

This is the first time I have used D.I. XML for this purpose. Previously I used D.I.2002 but was forced to stop using that when problems arose with the operation after I installed XP Pro-SP2.

When D.I. 2002 worked , I used it many times to restore C: Images over existing C: drives . This worked by erasing the existing C drive and replacing it with that existing at the time the Image was created . This , I have always assumed , was the whole purpose of creating an Image File !

Of course , it has only now occurred to me that the difference between D.I. 2002 and the XML Application is that the former did the Image File creation outside of Windows in an XP version of DOS ( Caldera DOS I think its called ) whereas XML works entirely within Windows.

Is this the reason for XML refusing to write over the existing C: drive do you suppose ?

I realise I should really be addressing these problems and questions to the makers of XML but , so far , I have been unable to get a reply from them

I did attempt to follow your suggestion of attempting a restore to a non-system Partition and it looked as though it was about to do so but , as that would have destroyed the existing Partition , I did not proceed further .

Comment

The answer is on the DriveImage XML site: http://www.runtime.org/peb.htm .
        make xp behave:

Comment

Thanks 666.

I have re-read this Web page but I'm afraid I don't see any references to my attempt to restore an Image File to a partition containing system files when using Drive Image XML

Have I missed such a reference . If I have , I'd appreciate it if you could point it out .

Comment

Can you not run it from DOS and start the restore from there.

Please note that i have never used this software and am only guessing on my experiance form other imaging software products.

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo
              I don't see any references to my attempt to restore an Image File to a partition containing system files when using Drive Image XML
              Like any other drive imaging program, DI XML can't restore a system partition when it's in use.

Don't know why they didn't use the description from http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...andimage.shtml : "Note that although it is able to image the system drive while you're working in it, it cannot restore the image to the system drive if it is currently in use (obviously). The solution is to use their BartPE plugin (what they call the "WinPE boot CD-ROM") to create a BartPE CDROM. You can then restore your system partition after booting from the CDROM."

They probably didn't anticipate that the "obviously" part is not obvious for everyone.
              make xp behave:

Comment

Reply to 666

Thanks 666.

As you said :-

"They probably didn't anticipate that the "obviously" part is not obvious for everyone."

That applied to myself I'm afraid but I should have realised the difference between D.I. 2002 which operates outside Windows and D.I. XML which doesn't .

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X